a dance on roses.

I cover her mouth, her eyes opening wide with a fear detectable because of the younger girls' night lamps

I cover her mouth, her eyes opening wide with a fear detectable because of the younger girls' night lamps. She screams into my hand, my palm presses harder against her mouth. Her chest moves fast, her legs kicking, nails clawing at my shoulders and arms. I hate how vulnerable and helpless she looks, how defenseless she is when asleep, I hate how I have to protect her because she's incapable of doing it herself.

"It's me, calm down," I whisper, her hands freezing around my wrist instead, eyes pleading and begging with memories I just now realize she's still haunted by.

Five minutes.

That's all I'm begging for with the motherfucker who did this to her.

I release her.

Bent over the bed, she breathes, hand around her own throat, protecting it. "You can breathe on the way, get up."

My own tongue never fails to disappoint me.

She throws the sheets off, glaring at me, wanting to beat my ass and only refraining because of the other defenseless kids sound asleep. "What the fuck is your problem?" I spits as soon as I close the door to her room, her fists bawled and the skin of her chest and neck tight.

She snorts, crossing her arms over her tight chest and looking away.

"I'm a selfish, stupid bitch. There. What's yours?"

"Your selfish stupidity has infiltrated my life, and you're angry about it? Come on!"

"Don't raise your fucking voice with me."

I stare at her.

Then I laugh.

"You're actually mad at me?"

She bites her bottom lip, the raw emotions and millions of thoughts coursing through me still leaving some space to notice how bad she's struggling to keep herself under control.

Leah the control freak.

The composed, collected, lady.

Challenge accepted. "He was gonna use you, just like every guy before him, and every guy after him, and none of them will stop until you grow the fuck up and realize that no one's gonna trade your miserable now for a happily ever after, no one's gonna replace your dad with a prince, we've all come to terms with our futures, please stop this degrading desperation to change yours before it kills you."