B O O M

"You take it," Avery groans in his sleep when the doorbell rings for the second time

"I don't even live here," I argue, not about to tell him how weird it is for me to welcome God knows who this early in the morning when they obviously expect a Channing to open the door for them.

Eyes closed, he grins.

Eyes rolled, I frown.

But then I get up, throw on my panties and his shirt, a few names visible on the skin of my thigh that the fabric doesn't reach, and walk downstairs while tying my hair back. Opening the door to a tall brunette with brown eyes and a stubble, friendliness radiating from him.

"Scarlet?" he startles me, my grip tightening on the edge of the door. His eyes narrow, head tilting.

"Who's asking?" I shoot back, swallowing down anxiety.

He lets out a laugh, holding out his hand.

"I'm Adam, Chloe's boyfriend. She never stops talking about you."

Convenient, Adam, really convenient timing.

"Does anyone in this house know how to keep their mouth shut?" Avery's cries are heard as he stomps downstairs wearing nothing but a pair of boxers, way too comfortable around this guy.

"I'm not in the house."

Avery receives a charming smile you'd think would pierce through his hard, pissed exterior, but nope. He seems very much immune to it.

"You're gonna be on your knees before I graduate, don't sweat."

Adam chuckles, rubbing his chin a little before looking back at me.

"What a Prince Charming you've got yourself, Scarlet."

"How else would boring peasants like you shine?"

I can with the utmost certainty guarantee to everyone that Avery Channing is anything but Prince Charming.

At least he wasn't last night.

I blush at the reminder, the muscle memory in my legs shivering at the thought, my whole vulva heating up.

Adam chuckles again, shrugging.

"As entertaining as this is for me and, for Scarlet, I'm afraid I'll have to cut it short. Is Chloe up?"

Avery silences for a second, my eyes landing on him the second he answers and has concealed whatever that was.

"No, she stayed with Duke and the boys at the apartment, probably fell asleep out of boredom before she could tell you."

"Sounds about right."

Silence.

"Listen, man, I got some shit to take care of, if you can take Scarlet with you on the way to the apartment that would great."