Paul Amore

As soon as we were done rewrapping a couple layers of bandage around each other's injuries, we hungrily walked downstairs

As soon as we were done rewrapping a couple layers of bandage around each other's injuries, we hungrily walked downstairs. The scent was intoxicating all the way from the room, not to mention how it consumed me the closer we got.

"Hey Paul," Avery speaks beside me, stopping my steps and my heart midway.

P- Paul?

Paul Lawson Paul?

Paul I-Seduced Paul?

I.....

I swallow, looking up and seeing all my worries turning into reality as the face of Sam's father -Sams father Paul- smiles at me and Avery.

"Avery!" he laughs, walking to us with open arms. "It's been a while buddy."

They hug, slapping each others' backs as I remain frozen in my spot, staring at River in front of me. His face is stern, jaw tight.

I fight the urge to start hyperventilating in worry when Avery lets go of Sam's dad, making it my turn to say an innocent hello. I force a faded smile, receiving one from him that almost has me questioning if this is the man I seduced at that first mission. "Scarlet," he speaks, reaching out his hand. "Great to meet you, Sam has spoken a lot about you."

I widen my smile for a second, throwing a glance at her.

"Likewise," I awkwardly reply, pulling my hand back and stepping away from him. He turns the other way, saying something I don't process while trying to break down what the fuck that just happened.

I sit down next to Avery, practically hiding behind him, and see Duke strut down the stairs, looking like he just has had the worst hangover possible from the worst night of his life.

Good.

Despite mine and River's silence and nonverbal communication with each other, there's no tension present in the air. They all seem so comfortable with each other, so close. Avery and Sam lead the conversation and Duke pines in every now and then, seemingly only restrained only by his hangover, while Max engages when asked as well. If it's done purposely or not, I don't know, but Sam's dad has somehow, luckily, kept me and my cousin out of the conversation.

Good.

Once we're done with the breakfast that I know was incredible, despite not having the appetite for any of it, I blindly follow Avery into the kitchen for dishwashing duty after having heard a detailed argumentation from his side as to why they should let him handle it despite two gunshot wounds which involved needing recovery, even if it is as early as hours after the incident. Since I silently followed after, ready to stay as far away from everyone's radars as possible, no one questioned it.

"Are you still thinking about it?" he asks once we're alone.

"Are you expecting me not to?" I snap back. I don't know which asshole decided that silence shouldn't be a thing, but I'd very much enjoy ten minutes alone with him to remind him how not peaceful its absence is.