Breaking News

The shocking thing about the next morning, not the disappointingly shocking, more like the serendipitous shocking, is that I haven't woken up by the sound of my father's roaring after he's read the newspapers, but by the annoying sound of my ringi...

The shocking thing about the next morning, not the disappointingly shocking, more like the serendipitous shocking, is that I haven't woken up by the sound of my father's roaring after he's read the newspapers, but by the annoying sound of my ringing phone.

I consider answering it by teaching the person on the other end some new words, but realize that if they're calling me in the morning, they probably don't know me, since most of the people who've called me early have learned never to do it again.

I pick up and so the world a favor by being civilized.

"Yes?" I growl, my eyes closed not to let the light make it too difficult for me to go back to sleep.

"Hey," a soft voice says, the silk in it exposing it as Sam's.... of course she's calling, She doesn't know what a bitch I am in the mornings. "Meet me at the café close to school, and bring your cousin and neighbor."

"Now?" I growl.

"Yes, now. We need to talk about it, she was Duke's mother. They've been looking everywhere for him and finally took him in last night. We're his closest friends, we're next."

I swallow.

I open my eyes.

I sigh.

He hasn't been to school in a few days. The cops showed up asking for him, but because of Avery's and Sam's fathers' legal team, they couldn't do anything to us just yet. If they questioned him, we'll have to give statements since he was with us. Me and Avery have been on all kinds of drugs so that our wounds can heal before we go to the cops. Sam's father took care of it, and even though it hurts, I got rid off the arm slinger.

"We'll be there in half an hour."

She hangs up.

It's insane how quickly I went from Never will I leave this bed, to throwing my full weight on River to wake him up. He was just as disappointed as me about Sam's call, and to tell from the monotone tone of Avery's Out in five, he was too.

With River following me, I walk downstairs. The house is silent, and despite it being for my fathers absence, it's not relieving at all. It's a calm before the storm kind of silence. He's made Max his tail, they've been busy the past days, and that's probably why this kind of silence, their absence, not knowing what they're up to, is anything but relaxing.

We walk to my car, convincing Avery not to take his, and get in, driving in a heavy silence to the location we're meeting Sam in. We're the first ones arriving, talking some minor bullshit not to draw attention to the tense air around us, until Duke arrives.He looks off. He's not radiating like he usually does, he looks like he was unwillingly dragged out of his bed, and he looks in desperate need for a shower. Something's off.

You killed his mother. That's off.

Fuck off.

I look down. After our fight a few days ago, or...  after my outburst on him, I can't bare facing him. Sure, I'm still pissed about what happened and I don't find him completely innocent in all of it since I still have no fucking idea what happened, but I killed his mother. And I screamed at him for it. And blamed all of it on him. I was unfair. He's my friend, I was too harsh on him during a really bad time.