Lucas Smith

Luke hasn't spoken a word to either of us that hasn't been drenched in poison

Luke hasn't spoken a word to either of us that hasn't been drenched in poison. Kinda sucks, kinda is entertaining. AJ's been enjoying the whole thing a little too much, but apparently, according to Macy at least, he's sweet behind closed doors. I wonder, really, how that is possible.

"I heard your exotic trip has reached its expiration date," Macy puts me on the spot, busy with folding her now clean clothes that just returned from the laundry. If I didn't know how much it bothers her, her tone wouldn't even make me suspect it.

"Sucks, but yeah," I tell her, knowing that replying to her with my usual sarcasm is beyond not asked for.

"You could've told me beforehand so I could've packed my bags as well."

I fucking hate life.

I swallow, moving closer to her. Swallow again.

"You know I can't, Macy. I wish I could more than anything, but I can't, not now."

"Yeah I know."

Her thumbnails dig deeper and deeper into the blue fabric of whatever cloth it was she was folding, her hands eager to just rip it apart right there. I grab her hand, her eyes dropping further.

"Macy I need you to trust me more than ever now, things aren't good. We're nearing bombdrops and dangerous situations, I'd never forgive myself if anything happened to any of you. I wish I could tell you I'll visit more frequently or that I can call more frequently, but things aren't looking that good."

Silence.

Knocks.

We both turn our heads to the door, seeing Avery carefully step inside, slowly walking to us. He flashes Macy a sad smile, taking the shirt from her and putting it on the bed.

"You owe me," he tells her, faking a laugh. "Luke's hooked."

She snorts, giving him a mocking look.

"I owe AJ," she responds, crossing her arms over her chest.

"Both of us then. I take gratitude in physical affection, anything from forehead kisses to foot massages is accepted."

"Will a hug do?"

He smiles, nodding.

"Perfectly."

They're cute. It's so obvious nothing is forced because of me, they're just so casually, openly cute with each other. It reminds me of how River is with her a little. He might see me as his responsibility, but me and him aren't affectionate. For her, and for Luke and practically everyone else, he played the dad role more while I played the one of an older sister, therefore, he was a lot cuter with them than I ever was despite the fact that I have been cuter with them than I've ever been with anyone. River always took care of them while I watched out for them. Avery now showed up and took on the role as the cool uncle, playing both mine and River's roles flawlessly just moments after he first saw them, which was visible from that first hug him and Macy shared. Macy might not owe him, but I sure as hell do.