Chapter 5

Chapter 5

" He's probably in the river." Sam said as Annabeth and Grover searched for Percy, and at that moment they spotted him a few feet away. As they approached him, a women on a stretcher rolled passed, ranting about how there had been a fire breathing Chihuahua up in the arch, before pointing at Percy as the boy who had fallen from the arch; they took that as their cue to leave and made their way back to the train as Percy explained what had happened.

When they reached Denver, they located a car wash and showed Percy how to create an iris message. Grover created a rainbow as Sam dug out one of the drachmas that she had snagged and tossed it to Annabeth so that she could contact Chiron, but as the Camp came into view, they were greeted by Luke instead. Luke explained they were having some sort of trouble back at camp, just before another car pulled into the place next to theirs with it's bass turned up. An annoyed look crossed Sam's face as Luke's image vibrated. " I'll be right back." Sam grumbled before she removed her jacket and tossed it Percy, causing him to stare at her in shock when he noticed the long jagged scar that had been revealed on her right shoulder.

" Come on Grover." Sam said as she ignored him and led Annabeth over to have a talk with the group, leaving Percy to talk with Luke.

When they came back, Annabeth and Grover were staring at Sam in shock, though Grover looked more afraid then shocked as Sam stormed over to Percy and snatched her jacket from him. " What's with her?" Percy whispered to Annabeth.

" One of them tried to flirt with her." Was Annabeth's response and Percy let it go when he noticed how angry she looked.

A few minutes later, they sat in a booth at a diner they had managed to find. A waitress came over to ask them what they wanted, but when she asked if they had enough to pay for it, Sam's response was cut off by the roar of a motorcycle. Percy noticed that Sam seemed to stiffen as the rider stepped into the diner, scared off the waitress and pulled up a chair. Sam's fist clenched as a feeling of pure rage filled her chest before she suddenly stood up and made a run for the bathroom as ice suddenly began to crawl up the window causing it to frost over.

The biker smirked at her reaction, before turning to look at Percy, who was staring back at him in confusion.

When Sam came back, the biker was gone and she sat down like nothing had happened. Percy started to question her, but went quiet after Annabeth and Grover both sent him a look that read ' don't.'

*********

When they arrived at the amusement park where Aries had said his shield would be, Grover used the flying to shoes to get over the gates, while Percy and Annabeth climbed over, leaving Sam to roll her eyes before seeming to phase right through it. " How did you do that?" Percy asked

" Shadow travel." Was her response as she continued passed him. " One of my many gifts, bubble boy."

They came across an old gift shop, and Sam rolled her eyes as she watched them all disappear into the changing rooms with left behind merchandise, before she grabbed a backpack off a rack, and stuffed her bag of drachmas into it, just as Annabeth returned. 

When Percy and Grover returned, they made their way over to the tunnel of love where they discovered Aries's shield sitting at the bottom in an abandoned boat. Percy and Annabeth went after it, and Sam let out a laugh at their attitude toward each other, but her laughter was cut short as the statues around the edge began to move and shoot a net across the pool. Grover tried to hold the net open but that only got him tangled up in it. Percy and Annabeth tried to climb out, but were stopped as a bunch of metallic spiders began to crawl toward from all directions causing Annabeth to panic. In the background a count down had started.

Sam ran over to the control panel, and began to hit buttons at random, but nothing seemed to work until water suddenly exploded from the pipes around the pool, and the boat that held Annabeth and Percy shot forward into the tunnel of love.

Grover flew to their aid as Percy and Annabeth were launched through the air and toward the asphalt, managing to catch them before they hit the ground. Sam could only watch as they crash landed into a photo board, before she turned to find that one of the cameras was pointed right at her. " Um....cut?" she said with a nervous smile before running over to help Annabeth and Percy pull Grover's head of the photo board.