Chapter 20

Chapter 20

As Sam watched Percy and Luke, she wasn't sure who to be more worried for, so instead she silently prayed to her father, hoping that they would both be spared. With each injury that Luke landed, Sam was starting to think that this fight had aleady been decided; that was until Sam was knocked aside by one of the bear twins, as he siezed Annabeth and Grover. " No." Sam screamed before an arrow hit him in the head. The bear twin holding the pegasus let go of the reins, but realized his mistake to late as the pegasus kicked him and sent him flying over the side of the boat.

Centuars poured onto the deck of the Princess Andromeda so quicly that no one ould react for several minutes. It was then that Sam found her weapons, they had been equpied by one of the many demigods on the boat, luckily all Sam had to do was wait for an arrow with a boxing glove to knock him to the ground. Sam quickly pulled the sword and knife free from the guy's waist before climbing onto the back of a centuar wearing a bright yellow Hawaiian shirt with parrots on it, who motioned for her to climb on. " Hold on, Death girl." The centaur told her before following after Chiron who had Grover and Annabeth with him. Sam let out a laugh as they picked up speed, and Percy glanced back at her like she had lost her mind. 

When they came to a stop, Sam joined Percy, Annabeth, Grover, and Tyson on the ground, but her feet had barely touched the ground before Annabeth suddenly pulled her into a hug. " Woah, Annabeth." Sam laughed awakwardly before pushing away.

" I'm sory, we just thought...thought that.."

" We thought we lost you after the boat exploded." Percy said and Sam looked away with a sigh. " After the boat exploded, I ended up on a piece of drift wood, I never even made it into the Sea of Monsters. I woke up on the Princess Andromeda, weaponless and very, very angry." Sam said before a smirk crossed her face. " So angry in fact that I threw a glass of soda in Luke's face."

" Bet you enjoyed that punch." Grover pointed out and Sam shrugged. " He had it coming; he played with the fatal flaw, and it bit back." She said.

" What exactly is the fatal flaw?" Percy questioned and Sam rolled her eyes. " All children of Hades have one thing in common, one inescapable flaw; We hold grudges, and sometimes it gets to us. Sometimes its even the death of us." Sam told him before Chiron joined them.

*******

Sam stood back on the beach of camp half blood watching the water as it moved across the sand, in her hand was the compass that Luke had given her; she was currently trying to decide whether, or not to throw the thing in the water. She pulled her arm back like she was going to throw it, before she let out a growl of frustration and dropped her arm. " It is a fine gift, you know." A voice said and she turned to find a guy with brown curly hair, wearing a currier's outfit with a shoulder bag to match hug over his shoulder. " I'm not really in the mood for a heart to heart, Lord Hermes." She told him. " I know that your hoping I'll tell you that I saw hope with Luke, that if we just try harder, he'll come back, but I can't because then I would be holding on to a hope that I'm not even sure exists anymore."

" Do you still love him?" Hermes questioned and Sam looked away, which was all Hermes needed as an answer. " Then there is hope, so long as you hold on to the memory of who he used to be, there is always hope." Hermes said before he turned to walk away, only to stop when he realized he had forgotten something. " Aw yes, and I believe this is yours." From his shoulder bag he pulled a large black box. " You really should keep a better hold on this thing." He said and Sam made a face before he held a clipboard out to her. " Sign here, please."

Sam accepted the clipboard before picking up the stylus, even when it suddenly grew two pairs of eyes and began to hiss out a greeting. " Hello, Ssssamantha." one of the tiny snakes hissed.

" Martha, George, nice to see you two again." Sam said as she finished signing her name. " Such a polite girl." Martha said.

" Would be nice if she brought us a rat, or something." The second snake, George complained.

" Maybe next time." Sam said as she gave the clipboard back, and accepted the black box from Hermes who tipped his hat before disappearing down the beach. Sam watched him go, before slipping the compass back on her wrist, which once again began to spin.