Chapter 7

Chapter 7

While they waited for Percy to resurface from the water where he had disappeared, Sam sat counting the remaining drachmas that she still had from Medusa's. " We should have enough to get us into the Underworld if my plan doesn't work out." Sam told Annabeth, but Annabeth didn't respond causing her to look at her, only to find her watching the water with a frown.

" He's fine you know." Sam said snapping Annabeth out of her trance, but before Annabeth could form a retort Percy appeared from the water. He told them what he had been told, and showed them what he had been given; three pearls. They located a bus stop but the ride didn't last long when the bus driver pointed out how familiar Percy looked. They got off at the next stop, just in time to hear a news report interview featuring his step-father.

They walked a couple blocks before being stopped a bunch rich kids looking for a fight, an before anyone could stop him, Percy drew his sword and tried to attack one of them. The sword passed through him and Sam had to resist hitting him, as they took off down the street, where they ducked into a mattress store to hide.

A voice sounded behind them and they turned to find a very large man who introduce himself as Crusty, the owner of the store. He offered to show them some of the mattresses that he had, before leading them around the store.

Grover hopped up on a massaging mattress before Crusty shoved Annabeth onto a mattress a few feet away. Sam vanished before Crusty could get ahold of her, but managed to seize Percy by the back of his neck. The mattresses began to stretch Grover and Annabeth, while Crusty began to rant about perfect measurements, and Percy's eyes widened when he noticed Sam flicker into existence behind Crusty before vanishing from view as he turned to pull an axe out from behind a counter. As he began to explain how he cut those were to tall down to size, Sam appeared holding her bronze dagger and shoved it as far as she could through Crusty's chest, and into his heart. Crusty exploded into a pile of dust and Sam let out a sigh as she sheathed her dagger.

" Nice." Percy told her and she smirked in response.

**********

When they reached the DOA recording studio, Percy gave Grover and Annabeth a pearl, before realizing that there wasn't one for Sam, who shrugged. " I've got my own way out, trust me."

They started toward the desk, and Sam elbowed Percy when she caught him staring at some of the people waiting to get into the underworld. " Don't stare, it's rude." She told him.

" But they're.." He trailed off and Sam rolled her eyes.

" So?" Sam said giving him a look. " They're still people, and it's still rude."

A guy behind the desk looked up as they approached, and Sam had to once again, resist the urge to punch him when he called him Chiron instead of Charon. He questioned on how they all died, and Sam stepped closer to the desk, her hand in her pocket just on case she had to use the drachmas. " My name is Samantha De Morte, daughter of Hades, and I request entry into the underworld." Then to add on how urgent it was she continued, while carefully stacking 12 drachmas on the counter between them. " I believe he is expecting me."

Charon stared at the drachmas in shock before glancing toward Sam, who smiled sweetly, as if she hadn't just tried to bribe him. " Only because Lord Hades ordered it." He said before picking up the money, and turned to lead them toward an elevator. " Very smooth." Grover told her but she didn't respond as the doors slid closed, and they descended into the Underworld.