Chapter 46

Chapter 46

" And why should I?" She responded. " Why shouldn't I make it hurt?"

" Because we both know that a far worse fate awaits if I fail, be it by Kronos, or the gods themselves. At least if you kill me now, I will be choosing my fate."

Sam glanced toward the battle to find that Percy had managed to get Antaeus tangled in the chains, and was slowly making his way back to the ground. " Sam, please, before it's to late." Luke pleaded and she looked back at him. She tried to will her hand to move, to strike him down, and end the war before it came, but she couldn't. Instead she found herself staring into Luke's eyes, the eyes she had once thought were the deepest she had ever seen; the eyes belonging to the boy, she could never stop loving.

Seeing that she had made her decision, Luke let out a sigh and turned back to the battle, as Sam shoved the knife back in her sleeve. Percy reached the ground at that moment, and to make it seem like thier conversation never happened, Luke stood and grabbed Sam tightly by her arm. " Free him, he is our host. " Luke yelled before Percy stabbed Antaeus, turning him to sand. " Jackson, I should have killed you long ago."

" You tried." Percy pointed out. " Let us go, Luke. We had an agreement with Antaeus. I'm the winner."

" Antaeus is dead, his oath dies with him, but since I'm feeling merciful today, I'll have you killed quickly." Luke said before motioning to Annabeth. " Spare the girl, I would speak with her before our great triumph. " 

Percy pulled a whistle from his pocket and blew it; the whistle made no sound, but shattered and melted upon use. " What was that supposed to do?" Luke questioned and Sam smirked as she watched the giant that had been holding Annabeth fly through the air, and into the opposite wall. The empousai soon followed as a large, black mass picked her up and tossed her toward Luke and Sam. Sam managed to get free seconds before the empousai knocked Luke back into his seat. " Sam, come on. " Percy cried as he, Annabeth, Rachel, and Mrs. O'Leary ran for the exit.

Sam gave Luke one last look before shadow traveling, using Mrs. O'Leary as an anchor to catch up with her friends, and the kid Percy had beaten before.

After the kid, Ethan ran off, they found a place to rest for the night, but Sam didn't sleep that night, instead she lie listening to the shifting walls of the maze in the darkness and stared into the dieing embers of the fire. She was supposed to have let Percy take over but had decided that he needed as much as rest he could get, especially after his fight with Antaeus.

Sam sat up as the cieling above them began to tremble, and she quickly went to wake Annabeth, Percy and Rachel.  Once they were up, they began to move and quickly, because the cieling was starting to cave in around them. They continued to run, even after they had left the chamber far behind and stopped only when they had reached the location that they had spent weeks looking for. The workshop of Daedalus himself.

Annabeth didn't seem to happy about where they had found it, but as soon as they were inside, her disappointment melted away. Percy, Annabeth, and Rachel seemed fascinated by the place, but something about it unnerved Sam, and she found herself fiddling her locket. " Where are we?" Percy asked looking out the large window and a voice above them responded. " Colorado springs, the garden of the gods."

Standing above them with his weapon drawn, was Quintus.

" You. What have you done with Daedalus?" Annabeth demanded. 

" Trust me, my dear, you dont want to meet him." 

" Look, Mr. Traitor." Annabeth growled. " I didn't fight a dragon women, and a three bodied man, and a psychotic sphinx to see you."