Chapter 55

The Dark - Beth Crowley

Chapter 55

As Sam and Percy reached the beach of Camp half-blood, the bubble around Sam popped and she let out a sigh. " How do you get used to that?"

" How do you get used to being able to walk through shadows without being seen?"

" Touché." Sam replied just before one of the Stoll brothers appeared with a huge grin on his face, although his grin fell when he saw the look on Percy's face. " I'll see you later." Sam told Percy when the rest of the camp started to join them in the pavilion, and Percy nodded before watching as Sam disappeared toward the big house.

She climbed the old, creaky stairs toward her bedroom, and pushed open the door to find it just as she had left it. She sat down on her bed and her gaze went to dust covered picture on her side table, which hadn't been moved in years. She let out a sigh before carefully picking it up and looking down at the old photograph. A 10 year old Sam sat on the shoulder of a young boy with a blonde hair and blue eyes, both frozen in mid-laugh, while an unseen person snapped the picture of them.

" We'll always be friends, right?"

" Of course, Sam."

" Mean it."

" I do mean it." He laughed

" Swear your life upon it. Swear it on the Styx." She demanded

" I swear upon the river Styx that I will never leave you," He swore." No matter what."

" And a promise swore on the Styx, can never be broken."

Sam smiled sadly down the picture of the laughing boy, before something wet landed on the glass.

It was one of thier last happy memories together, they had each gone on thier own quests after that, and both had come back changed. In more ways then one.

Sam set the picture down, before removing the armor she had taken from the Princess Andromeda. She glared at it for several minutes, before going to change clothes. She had just reattached her weapons, when Chiron called out to her from downstairs. " Samantha, can you come down here please."

She let out a sigh before making her way down, where she found Chiron, Percy and Annabeth waiting with a bunch of the other campers. Annabeth ran over to hug her, and Sam flinched as Annabeth wrapped her arms around her. " We thought you were dead." She said pulling away. " We thought that after your last message.....that Kronos had..." She trailed off and Sam stared at her in silence before she smiled at her. " I'm okay, Annabeth. Theres something I want to talk to you about later, though."

" Now that we are all here." Chiron said. " Percy, the Great Prophecy."

Sam's face immediantly dropped into emotionless mask, and she casually leaned against the wall next to the stairs as Annabeth handed Percy a small parchment the size of her pinkie.

Percy tried to read it and Sam chuckled as Annabeth corrected him after just the first line. 

A half-blood of the eldest gods

Shall reach sixteen against all odds

Percy hesitated before continuing. 

And see the world in endless sleep

The hero's soul, cursed blade shall reap

Percy went quiet, and Sam found herself stepping closer to the group, when she saw how much he was shaking. Chiron urged him on and he swallowed before delivering the final two lines.

A single choice shall end his days

He attempted the last line, but Annabeth corrected him again, causing him to scowl at her

Olympus to preserve or raze

Percy looked at Sam, but Sam was looking at the floor now, and was fiddling with the silver chain around her neck. " You see now, Percy, why we thought it best not to tell you the whole prophecy. You had enough on your shoulders."

" Without realizing I was going to die in the end, anyway? Yeah, I get it."

Sam shoved away from the pool table, and Chiron watched her as she disappeared upstairs.

*******

It was later that evening when Annabeth walked down to the beach to find Sam carefully building a small campfire next to the water. Sam barely glanced at her as she placed the wood in a neat pile; next to her, lie the armor she had grabbed from the Princess Andromeda. " What did you want to talk about?" Annabeth asked and Sam let out a sigh before waving her hand, causing a fire to burst to life.

Realizing what she was doing, Annabeth watched in silence as Sam tossed the armor into the flames, which had begun to burn black. Sam sat down next to the fire and Annabeth sat across from her as Sam spoke. " Kronos knew the whole time that I was there to get information, and to spy on his army for the camp. He played along until last month."

" Your last message..."

" He made me write it, Annabeth. I thought that there wasn't anything that I cared about enough to make me do what he wanted, but there was..." Tears began to trail down Sam's face and Annabeth moved around the fire as Sam began to sob. " He...he used my mom, Annabeth. He used Nico, and he said that even though he's possessing his body, he could still hurt Luke. He said that he couldn't kill me, because I was one of the only things that was helping him keep his hold on Luke." Sam told Annabeth everything that had happened while she was on Kronos' ship. Annabeth listened quietly, and when she was done, they went up to the big house together and did what hadn't done since they were little kids; they had a sleepover.