Chapter 24

Chapter 24

Sam squeezed her eyes shut as she pressed her head into the seat in front of her; Thalia was the worst driver she had ever been in a car with, and Sam was pretty sure she was going to be sick. " Sam, you alright back there." She heard someone call out but Sam was to busy trying to control her stomach as she quitely whispered under her breath. " Never again, never again, never again." Then for some reason she switched to Italian. " Se riesco a superare questo, non salirò mai più in macchina con lei/If I make it through this, I'm never getting in a car with her again."

She heard a thud, but was to scared to open her eyes to see who had rolled to the back next to her. A second later the bus jerked up and Sam risked a look toward the front of the bus, only to duck back down, then to make matters worse Thalia hit the brake and Sam was slammed backward against the seat. When they hit the lake, Sam was one of the first ones to reach land, where she sat with a petrified look on her face, she didn't even care that the ground was covered in snow. " Sam, need some help?" Percy laughed only to go quite when she turned to look at him with a glare. She sat there for another minute, or two, before getting up, and trudging off toward the big house on shaking legs. 

After a few hours of sleep, Sam left for the Underworld, but what her father wanted to speak about was far from pleasent, and even when she returned to camp a day later, Sam refused to speak a word about it to anyone but Chiron.

**********

Sam ducked out of the way as the skeleton swung a sword at her head, and she quickly parried as the skeleton spun around with another attack, before twisting the blade of her sword and disarming the skeleton which stared at her a moment before bowing its head. " Well done, my lady."

" Philip." She complained and the skeleton let out what sounded like a laugh; something that should not have been possible for someone who was nothing but bone and armor. " I will return to the Underworld now, to await your call, Samantha" Philip said before he crumbled into a pile of bones and disappeared back into the ground through a crevice that had opened up.

The horn blew for dinner, and Sam made her way toward the Pavilion, dragging her feet through the snow as she went. Once inside, she took her seat at the head table, and began to lightly pick at her food. " Samantha." Chiron called out and she looked at him with a frown. " Time to clear the woods already?" She asked and he nodded.

Sam emptied her glass, before picking up her plate of uneaten food, and heading toward the fire at the center of the Pavilion. She dropped the plate in the fire, before walking off toward the woods. As she got closer, she let out a whistle and after a few minutes howls filled the air causing several campers to turn; it wasn't a rare sight to see Sam call the hounds out of the woods, but when it was seen, it certainly was an interesting sight. There were five in total, and all approached with aura of pure joy, jumping around as if waiting for a treat. Sam laughed at them before scratching the nearest one between the ears. " Miss me?" Sam questioned they barked at her, before one began to sniff at her. " I'll feed you later. That is, if you do a good job and clear the woods for capture the flag tonight. Deal?" She questioned.

Thy ran off toward the woods, and Sam rolled her eyes with a small smile before following after them. " And no eating any of the nymphs, or satyrs." She called out.