Chapter 42

Chapter 42

Sam looked around the workshop while the others talked with Hephaestus, but she smirked when she saw the car he had been working on, but before she could say anything about it, Annabeth asked about Daedulus, which made his beard catch on fire. Hephaestus told them the story about how Hera had chucked him off the mountain, just because of how he looked. Hera's cruelty, reminded Sam of her own mother, but she shook off the memories as she wondered back over to them.

Hephaestus told them he would help them, if they checked on one of his old workshops which was located in Mt. St. Helens, and they agreed as he gave them the metal spider so that they could find thier way. They were about to leave when the god of the forge called out to Sam. " One more thing before you go, that compass of yours..." He trailed off and Sam stared at him in confusion before slipping it off so that he could look at it.

" Has it always clicked like this?" he asked watching as the arrow spun.

" I guess, I didn't really notice it until we got back from the sea of monsters." Sam said as he began to mess with it. After a few minutes, he handed back, click free. " A couple of the gears were loose." He told her before he dismissed them and went back to what he had been doing before.

*******

They ended up having to separate from Grover and Tyson so that Grover could search for Pan, but were able to go a lot faster with just the three of them. As they got closer to the mountain, Percy asked Annabeth about how it was possible for Athena to have children, and Annabeth explained that they were born just like thier mother, through thought. Sam let out a cry as she nearly fell off the cliff, and Percy with the help of Annabeth pulled her back onto solid ground. " Sam, can you get us to the forge?" Percy asked.

" Not enough shadows." Sam responded.

Annabeth put on her cap and Percy started to move around the edge of the room, leaving Sam alone on the ledge. " Guess I'll wait here, then." Sam said as if anyone was listening. Sam heard yelling and let out a sigh when she realized Percy had been caught. " If this works, I'm gonna kill him." Sam said looking toward the lava below, then with one last prayer she jumped. Instead of hitting the lava and being burnt to a crisp like a normal person would, the earth broke away  from the side of the volcano and caught her as she fell, creating a floating piece of land as she flew to Percy and Annabeth's aid. Several monsters that Sam had never seen before had surrounded Percy. " Percy." Sam cried causing everyone look up in shock as Sam flew over. " Get down." She added before a large rock came flying toward him.

Percy hit the ground, but the monsters weren't so lucky as several of them were knocked aside by a large boulder. Sam looped around for another attack as Percy got back up, but as she was about to launch another round of earth, water exploded from all directions and in her moment of shock, Sam lost her concentration and found herself falling through the air. The last thing she saw as she plummeted toward the ground was the burning glow of lava as it was pushed upward by the flow of water.

Not seeing any other choice Sam reached for the IPod in her pocket, managing to click the play button just before everything went black.