Chapter 48

Chapter 48

" I'm really starting to hate it down here." Sam sighed as they followed Rachel once again, through the long corridors of the labyrinth. Percy started to ask Nico about coming back to camp, to which he explained that he didn't fit in at camp. Sam hid her sorrow behind a mask, but having known her long enough, Annabeth saw her change in mood. " Sam, are you alright?"

" I'm fine, Annabeth. " Sam responded, her voice empty.

" Your worried about Luke again, aren't you?"

Sam was about to respond, when a chill suddenly shot down her spine and she was forced to stop in her tracks. " Sam?" Annabeth questioned before she noticed the compass on Sam's wrist had paused in it's constant spinning. Sam had noticed it to, and her face had lost all color. The five of them listened for any sign of what might be the army of Kronos, but there was nothing. " We...we have to be getting close." Percy suggested but the look on Sam's face was one of fear.

" Theres something evil down that tunnel." Rachel said looking in the direction that it was pointing. " Something very powerful."

" And the smell of death." Nico added.

Percy left to check out the tunnel and Sam slowly sank to the floor, her back against the wall of the corridor. " He is so not going alone." Sam told them after a few minutes, and the agreed before following after him. They saw Ethan with a bunch of seal like monsters, and followed them into the mausoleum, but they stopped when they heard an unknown voice. The voice was like grinding metal, but Sam recognized it immediantly. Sam moved to go toward the room, but Rachel held her back, and shook her head. " No, Sam."

" Percy needs our help." Sam insisted before she snuck over to the doorway and looked in with a frown, only to freeze in shock. Percy stood with his back to her, the cap in one hand and his sword in the other, but standing in front of him, next to a golden coffin, was Luke.

And yet, it wasn't Luke.

Luke's eyes were blue, but this Luke's eyes, were as gold as the coffin beside him, and in his hand was a long scythe. He hadn't seen her yet, so she quickly snuck back toward the others. " What is it?" Annabeth asked and Sam started opening and closing her mouth like a fish gasping for water. " Sam, snap out of it." Rachel said shaking her shoulders and Sam blinked before whispering out one word. " Kronos."

Instead of being terrified like Sam was, the three of them went over to the doorway and after a few minutes of standing there Rachel yelled, " Percy." and tossed her plastic hairbrush into the room. There was the sound of impact and a very pained, " Ow" before Percy came running out at a full sprint.

When they finally stopped running, Sam and Annabeth collapsed to the ground in tears, while Rachel tried to control her breathing, and Percy and Nico sat a few feet away. Percy told them what had happened, but Annabeth refused to believe it. " This is all my fault." Sam whispered causing them to look over . " I talked to him when we were in the arena. He begged me to put an end to it, and I tried, but I couldn't." She whispered tears trailing down her face. " I couldn't kill him, and now..." She trailed off she began to sob in guilt and sorrow.

" Luke made his choice." Percy told her. " He gave himself over to Kronos. I'm sorry, but Luke is gone."

" No." Annabeth insisted. " You saw when Rachel hit him."

Percy nodded as he looked at Rachel with respect. " You hit the lord of the titans in the eye with a blue plastic hairbrush." He said and embarrassment crossed her face. " It was the only thing I had."

" But you saw when it hit him, just for a second, he was dazed. He came back to his senses. " 

" So, maybe Kronos wasn't completely settled in the body or whatever. It doesnt mean Luke was in control."

" You want him to be evil, is that it?" Annabeth was yelling now. " You didn't know him before, Percy. Sam and I did."

" What is it with you?" Percy snapped. " Why do you keep defending him?"

" Wow, you two. Knock it off." Rachel said and Annabeth turned on her. " Stay out of it, mortal girl. If it wasn't for you..." She trailed off before breaking back into her own fit of sobbing. " We have to keep moving." Nico said. " He'll send monsters after us."

They started to move again, but were quickly stopped as they caught sight of a piece of red cloth on the ground, Grover's cap. They followed the tunnel it seemed that they had gone down, and discovered Tyson cradling an unconscious Grover. Sam immediantly knelt next to him, and Tyson carefully set Grover down the ground as he explained what had happened. " He's going to be fine." Sam told them quietly, her voice still full of heartbreak, as she placed the tip of her fingers to his temple. She let out a breath as she focused and a second later, Grover let out a grown. " Percy, could you.." She motioned to the river and he nodded before pouring water directly into his face, causing him to sputter and open his eyes. Sam moved away from him as Percy moved closer, and looked toward the second entrance to the cave which lie on the other side of the river.

When they reached the other side, Sam stayed back; she didn't like the energy running through her veins, and was scared that she might ruin the beauty beyond." Sam, are you coming?" Percy called out, but when he turned, Sam was gone.