Chapter 28

Chapter 28

After managing to subdue the extremely large boar, it allowed them to use it as a transportation west. The boar stopped to eat, and they climbed off just before it let out a squeal, and ran off back toward the east. After looking around a little bit, they had discovered that they had made it all the way to Arizona. They decided to camp out that night, Thalia provided them with a fire and using the darkness that grew around them, Sam made a shelter to hide them from the view of any monsters that might wander to close. Zoe pointed out how bright the stars were, and Percy questioned how old she sounded. Zoe expressed the fact that as a hunter of Artemis, it was her duty to protect what was left of the wild. " I get it." Sam said, the stars seemed to reflect in her dark eyes, mixing with the dancing light of the campfire.

" Hades is always complaining that there is to much death in this world, that humans kill each other carelessly, and without thought."

" The lord of the dead, complaining about the dead, that's hard to imagine." Bianca said with a laugh and Sam shrugged. " Dad is weird, but he tries his best; he might not admit it, or even show it, but I know he cares." 

" You talk about your dad, but what about your mom?" Percy asked and for a second it seemed like the fire dimmed as Sam pulled the grey hood of her jacket up, and laid bfack on her backpack, using it as a pillow. " Percy." Grover scolded and confusion crossed his face, before he glanced at the daughter of Hades again. They changed the subject, but when they started to talk about the casino, Sam sat up again, her eyes on the fire. " I was right then, I did see you there. You might not remember me though, because you were pulling Nico over to try out....um...the climbing wall, I think it was." Sam said and Bianca stared at her in shock. " It was right before we left, remember Percy."

A pair headlights shone on them before Percy could respond, and Sam frowned as the car stopped on the road a few feet away, before placing her hand on her knife as the back door opened, and a sword was placed to Percy's throat, forcing him back. The owner of the sword, was the god of war, Ares.

Aries told Grover, Sam, Zoe and Bianca to go get some tacos while he and someone in the car had a word with Percy. Sam stood up but the others weren't as trusting when it came to Aries.

 " He'll be fine." Sam told the three of them as she pulled her hood down, and let her long dark hair fall. " Aries won't hurt him, not with her here." Sam assured before grabbing Grover by the back of his shirt, and dragging him toward the now open taco place. " Come on, Goat boy."

" Sam." He cried as he stumbled and tried to keep up with her, leaving Thalia, Zoe, and Bianca to trail after her. 

********

Sam was munching on a taco, when Percy approached them looking dazed. " She wants to talk to you." He said sitting next to Thalia, and Sam rolled her eyes before grabbing one of the wrapped tacos off the plate in the middle of the table, and shoving it in her pocket. When she reached the limo she tossed the taco to Ares who caught it with smirk as Sam got in the car with a young women. The women's appearance shifted as Sam looked at her but the one that seemed to keep going back to was a young women with dark hair, and deep blue eyes; the face of her mother. " Hello, Samantha." She said but Sam didn't return the greeting, not that the goddess cared as she studied Sam's face. " Such a beautiful face, your father's calm façade combined with that of your mother's subtle beauty, it's no wonder that any man would be lucky to-"

" I don't care about love." Sam said cutting her off and Aphrodite smiled at her. " Of course not, my dear. Tell me, is that Castellan boy really worth the trouble?"

 " I may have loved him once, but the boy I fell in love with is gone."

" You give up to easily Samantha." Aphrodite said before glancing toward the closed car door. " You know my story, and therefore, you must know that love always its way." Then with a gleam in her blue eyes she added." Whether we like it, or want it to."