Chapter 1

Hi guys! So I know most of you won't read this, but oh well. Sooooo before this I wrote another selection fan fiction which you should check out before this, but it really doesn't matter. You might get a few spoilers but I'll try not make it anything major👍🏼 you also don't have to read the main selection series by Kiera Cass.

Also, I've never used pictures in any of my books but I want to for this so I'm going to show pictures of dresses she wears during it but not the cast, sorry. please vote and comment thanks!😁

•••

"I'm going to go get your medicine." I lean down and tell my mom who sits in her wooden rocking chair. "Kiera is coming over to sit with you if that's alright?"

She doesn't say anything, like usual. The doctors had diagnosed her with dementia, but I didn't believe them. This seemed different than dementia, but there was nothing I could do about it.

"Bye mama, love you." I say and kiss her forehead. As I walk out, I knock on the neighbors door and wait for the young blond girl to bounce to me. I smile at her and hand her a few dollars.

"You really don't have to pay me. If anything I should be paying you because I actually get to watch TV at your home." Kiera, my neighbor, and her family were one of the poorest in town. All six of them lived in the same size trailer as the one I lived in. She was the oldest, and sometimes I felt bad for her because she could never be a normal teenager like most could.

"No really. It's fine I promise. I'll be back in less than an hour." I tell her and close the squeaky door. I make my way to James's house, who lived less than a mile away. James was my mom's only nephew, which meant he was my only cousin.

"Hi Autumn." James waves from his porch with a goofy grin. He had a rolled up cigar in his mouth and smoke trailing in the air above him.

"You need to quit that or you'll turn your lungs black." I scold him and pluck the cigar from his fingertips. James just rolls his eyes. James's father was a wealthy man and they never lived without. For some reason James decided to use that gift on drugs.

"I'm sorry. I know you don't like it." James apologizes honestly. I roll my eyes. Of course I didn't like him wasting the money his father had worked hard to get. "Let's go to the pharmacy." He says after he noticed my anger.

After my mom had been diagnosed and they put her on medicine, we started struggling to afford bills and live comfortably. That's when I switched our normal size house for the trailer. Soon after I got my mother and brother moved into the trailer, I realized we were still struggling. It became hard to afford three meals a day with my monthly pay. Luckily, James told me he would pay the medical bills. I hated to take money from people, but his family was one of the most well off in the big town. After that we were more content and neither family struggled. Even though both his parents tried to help us even more, I refused because I knew that's what my mother would've done. She was strong once upon a time and I still feel like that's in there somewhere.

As my cousin and I walked along the road to the main part of town I could see where people from the palace were setting up the small building they would take up for people to turn in their forms for the selection and take their photo.

"Are you entering?" James asks me. I turn and look at him. He was older than me by four years but still lived at home. He had a job, which he didn't need because of his dads pay, but he always said he needed to act like an adult. He said he wanted to buy a house where he could start a family one day with the right girl. James got his messy light orange hair from his mother but not a single freckle though both his parents had them. I had even gotten freckles from my mother and dark hair from my father.

"What, the Selection?" I ask. The Selection was a chance for Prince William to find his wife and future queen. My mom would go on and on about the selection of Prince Alex since she had watched the Reports during it. "Nah," I shrug. "It's a different world up there James, and I couldn't see myself not seeing Colton every day. It'd be too hard."

"I think you need to just try it. It's your last year of school and you still aren't bonding with anyone in your classes. You know, it's not a crime to have friends." James tells me. "You could bond with people over just entering."

"I can't be busy all the time like that. I hate even having to take Colton to daycare while I'm at school." I sigh as the pharmacy becomes closer.

"Autumn." James stands in front of me and keeps me from moving around him. "Colton likes daycare. That's why he's there right now on the weekend." I scowl because I know he is right. Colton smiles when he came home from daycare and when I pick him up I see him playing with kids outside on the playground "And okay maybe you don't have to bond with people about the Selection, but you love to travel. You'd get to go all the way to the palace. I think you should."

"I can't. My mom doesn't do anything all day. She sits and hums occasionally and will barely eat. She can't look after Colton." I push past him and continue to the pharmacy.

"I'll keep them. They can both come to my house. We have two guest bedroom and Colton can even stay in my room since he doesn't like to be alone." James tells me. "Neither of my parents will mind, I promise."

"I don't know," I shake my head. "It'd Be way to different. I don't know if I can just leave them."

"Autumn I know you love them and they know it too, but you've got to give yourself a chance." I look up at James and then look back down. "You have dedicated your life to keeping them happy, but I think we all know you aren't happy here."

"I'll put my name in but I won't get picked. As long as it makes you happy." I mutter and move closer to the pharmacy.