Chapter 4

"Okay so today we are taking all your stuff to James's and you're going to stay there while I'm gone. Mama's going to, too." I say as I frantically walk around the room sorting his and my mothers clothes. He sits on the bed, swinging his feet and nodding to my rambles. "I'm afraid reporters will show up here any minute so let's go ahead and get going." I pick up as many bags as I can and take them to the living room. James and my uncle Davy start to immediately load them in their car.

"We are going to Davy's. Don't worry mom it's going to be okay." I say and smile to her before helping her out into the car. There was only enough room in the car for my family's luggage, a driver, my mother, and my brother so James and I walked behind and let the car race ahead of us.

"I figured you might as well stay the night with your family since you are leaving tomorrow." James tells me.

"That'll be fine." I say with a nod. "I feel bad. I'm really going to miss all of you."

"Autumn, your mind isn't made for around here. You'd only be settling if you stayed here your whole life. I know that you're going to do better things." I smile and look down.

"Thanks James." I kick the dust on the ground as I walk.

"Are you worried about the prince not liking you?" He asks and looks down at me.

"No, not really. I don't care if he doesn't like me, but I'm worried I won't like him like I'm supposed to." Id worried about that all night. Every other girl there could be fawning over him but it may not be the same with me.

"You aren't supposed to like him. That isn't what this is about. It's either going to click or not click and no matter what it'll be a good experience. Just be you. Wear your glasses occasionally and show off your freckles. Don't be ashamed to open up to him because you never know when it might be to late and don't be afraid to let yourself fall in love. It can't hurt." But it could. What if it did. I wasn't scared to fall in love though, because I wanted to. I didn't want to show off my freckles because I didn't like them and my glasses were too wide to be fashionable. But James had a point. I believed every word he said I just wasn't sure I could follow the steps.

"Thank you, James." I smile and continue walking to his house. After a few more minutes of silence we were there. I didn't see any reports so I hurried inside with James and we locked the door.

"Which bag is yours, Autumn?" Kathy asks me as she sorts through the bags that hold my families belongings.

"That one." I point to the large black one that had all my clothes and few items in it. "Anything I don't take I'll just leave in the bag and put it under the bed or something." I shrug it off. "I'm going to go ahead and take Colton to his room and get him settled in."

They all nod and I lead Colton up the steps. We had stayed here before, so it wasn't a complete change for him, but it would probably take time for him to get used to it.

I start by putting Colton's clothes in the closet and folding his blanket on the bed.

James walks and sits on the bed beside of Colton.

"Hey buddy. What do you say we get some of my old stuff and decorate your room while sissy's gone?" The ginger asks my brother. Colton smiles up at James and nods eagerly. "Great we'll go find stuff okay?"

As James and Colton leave, I walk downstairs and greet my mother who sits on the couch alone.

"Let's go out for a walk okay?" I say to her and help her stand. She couldn't walk long, but the doctor said she needed to keep her strength up, so I took her on short walks every day.

I walk silently down the road with her as she hums s lullaby she would sing as a kid.

I was only out for a few minutes before I turned back around and headed to James's house. When I turned to corner, I was taken aback by the cameras and reporters that were at the front door.

"Oh no." I mutter quietly. I start to the house and try to ignore the photographers. Then they saw me and it was like a wave of people trying to attack me. "Back up! Leave my mother alone!" I shout and push back people that stood too close to me. I try and grab my mom's arm tighter and help her walk easier to the house.

"Lady Autumn Meadows, how excited are you about the Selection?" One news reporter asks.

"Get out! I'm trying to take my mother home, so let me do so." I felt humiliated. I was wearing an old thin jacket and worn jeans, but luckily, Kathy had worked on my makeup earlier in the day and I forgot my glasses so my face looked decently presentable.

I push through the people and get to the door. I push it open and squeeze inside with my mother. Kathy and Davy sat on the couch and their eyes widened when I came in so baffled.

"Keep the doors locked. The reporters found where I was." I sighed and helped ma sit in the armchair.

Kathy stands up and cups my face in her hands. "Don't worry about it darling. Just go get ready for dinner and I'll watch over your mother and James is occupying Colton. Just don't stress. Okay?"

"Okay. Thank you Kathy." I thank her and make my way to the shower upstairs. I stood in the warm water letting it run over my face and hair, letting it wash my problems away.