Chapter 27

The day following I find myself in the gardens with Will. I felt rude for not being with my family now since they were only here for four days, but Will asked for some alone time with me. Though I felt bad for my family, but I was happy to be with him.

"So you and James hit it off Well?" I ask. Will leads me to a concrete bench and sits with me.

"Yes. I got along with him very well compared to the others." He laughs and takes hold of my hands. "Your hands are always cold."

"I know." I laugh and look down at them. "They've always been like that." I shrug and turn my hands over in his.

"I've got a surprise after the families go home. For all of the girls, but I mean—" Will shrugs like I was just meant to know what he meant.

"What do you mean?" I ask with a questioning look.

"I was thinking of you while I planned it." He grins and squeezes my hand a bit. "I'm really excited for it too and I think it'll be good to keep the ladies minds off of leaving their families."

"That's a good idea." I say with a smile and stay silent for a moment. I was about to speak again but instead I just look up at Will and see him looking back at me. 

I couldn't help myself but I started laughing for no apparent reason, leaning toward him and nearly touching my head to his chest with laughter.

"What was so funny?" Will asks while laughing himself.

"I'm sorry— I don't even know why I'm laughing." I say and shake my head. The thing was, now I didn't even feel the slightest awkward feelings with him anymore. I loved it.

"I love you." He laughs and hearing those words come out of his mouth I froze slightly. To break the tension he bent down and placed his smooth lips upon my own. At first I froze to my spot but then leaned into him.

I pull back and break away from him. "Are you sure you don't just like me because of this?" I ask keeping my eyes closed.

"I promise." I hear from him and open my eyes to look at him. His eyes weren't the kind to be fierce blue or icy, but more like the bottom of the ocean where the sun barely shines. The bright clear type with a deep blue.

"You sure? Positive?" I question and he squeezes my hand tighter.

"I thought we both agreed not to be scared." Will says more serious now. I sigh and look down at the bench between us.

"It's easier for you. You have plenty of girls here that you just get to pick and choose from, but it isn't like that for me. I have to be worried about the picking and the choosing because what if next time, it's not me?" I say exasperatedly. Will stays quiet for a minute choosing his words wisely, but he's seemed to make up his mind very soon.

"It's actually no different for me, Autumn. You are fighting for one person with no distractions, but I am too. Love is not a pick and choose game and I can't just fall in love with every girl that loves me. I'm fighting for one person to make sure they are prepared and in love with me. That's you." Will says confidently.

"That's what I was hoping you'd say." I mutter and lean into him so I can hide my smile. I didn't know what to say for a few minutes then I speak again. "Why are you keeping the other girls here then?" I ask, though I didn't want to just be engaged now. I wasn't ready and I had a feeling he knew that.

"Though this is to find love, a lot of it is for the show of the public. Magazine companies stay in business and it gives people something good to look forward to and all. As weird as it sounds, it's almost required to go on for so long." Will grimaces and looks away from me. "And I'm waiting to make sure you are ready. I'm waiting for you to tell me when you think you are prepared and if you love me enough to be married."

"Okay." I say and find his hands in mind. "I'm not ready yet. I'm not ready to be engaged yet and I'm just finding out a lot of things about myself, but give me time. I will be eventually. I just need time." I squeeze his hands but don't look up at him.

"Are you still afraid?" He asks and takes one of his hands and places it on my chin and pushes it upward so my eyes meet his.

"No." I shake my head and keep eye contact this time. "Not unless you give me a reason to be afraid."

"I guess I better be careful then huh?" Will grins and stands up and pulls me up with him.

"Guess not." I grin and walk with him back to the entrance.

"I'll let you go back to your family then." Will smiles and pushes the door into the place open.

"I'll see you later." I smile and stand on the top of my toes to kiss him one last time before walking in the opposite direction as him. Instead of going to my room I head to James's room. I'd promised I'd come by after my talk with Will and I felt like I was glowing. I was more than happy and more than excited.

"Hey." I knock at the door and slowly push it open. James sits on his bed with his reading glasses perched on his nose.

"Hey." He replies and shuts his book and relieves his face of his glasses. "How'd it go?" I sit on his bed and smile.

"Promise you won't tell anyone?" I ask as he sits next to me. I felt obliged to not let anyone else know, but I wanted Janes to know.

"Of course not." James asks, dropping his humorous manor and staying on a more serious note.

"He said he loved me. He said that he wanted me to be the one at the end of Selection I just had to tell him when I was ready." I say quietly.

"Are you ready for that, Autumn? Do you love him?" James asks with a raised eyebrow.

"I do, James. I do think I love him, but I'm not ready yet. I think if he just gives me time, I will be, but James, I'm only seventeen." I breathe out and close my eyes. "I've barely lived my fullest life."

"Your life isn't going to end with marriage Autumn, it's only a new beginning." James says softly. I sit and comprehend what he meant. I easily realize that he was completely right.

"Do you wish you would've gotten married earlier?" I ask him without looking up.

"Not at all. I'm just waiting for the right person to come along, you know. If I would've met her five years ago I would've married her then." James shrugs against me. I lean against him closer now. I've met a few girls he has brought home, but none of the relationships have lasted too long. By all means, James could probably pick from any girl he liked, but was too good for that. I knew James was a family guy and would be an excellent father and husband. For some reason though, no girl seemed right in his eyes.

"You'll find her one day." I tell him with a smile. "And it'll be all the better."

"I sure hope so." James mutters and squeezes me again. "I love you."

"I love you too and I'll still be here no matter what happens, I promise." I smile at him and squeeze him tighter to me.

"What would I do without you?" James says sarcastically and I pull away and swat at his face.

"Oh shut up." I roll my eyes with a short laugh. Through thick and thin James has always been my go to. I'd be afraid for that to change.