Chapter 24

The next day I stand in a navy ball gown with a skirt made of many layers and the top reminding me of a starry night.

It was modest and seemed appropriate for seeing James, Kathy, and Colton for the first time

Will had sent three girls home the other night so now only seven of us waited in a line for the limos containing our families. Will stood behind us a few meters as I rocked back and forth on my heels with impatience.

I black vehicle catches my attention and everyone's eyes raise and even a few clap with excitement though the windows were tinted and nobody knew who would be in it.

"Kyle!" Someone gasps. I look and see Josie running to meet a small boy around ten or eleven at the limo and an older woman and man both step out along side. Perfect Josie. Of course she had two Well dressed parents and a polite younger brother. I could barely resist rolling my eyes.

Limo after limo pull in and soon I'm the only one without a family to surround them. Another sleek black car starts into the palace driveway and I start to smile unstoppably.

It seemed like hours before the car was in front of me and a door was pushed open and there was Colton. Standing with as happy a face as every with his hair grown just a bit farther than when I'd last seen him.

"Sissy!" He exclaims. Wait— no— that's not right because Colton didn't talk, but that was him that spoke. He runs up to me and I fall on my knees and let my dress flow around me and pick him up into my lap.

"Was that you?" I ask unbelievably.

"Yes." He says with a bit of a lisp. I didn't know which feelings to feel first.

"I love you so much." I say and squeeze him to me immediately. "I can't believe you're talking, though that's amazing!" I exclaim and brush his hair from his face.

"We worked really hard on it just for you right?" I hear another voice and I beam up at James. I sit Colton down and stand to wrap my arms around James's neck.

"Thank you. Thank you so much. I really can't believe this." I say with a laugh.

"He's not talking as much as any three year old but he pronounces every word perfectly though he only says few. He did it all for you though. That was his motivation because he wanted to surprise you." I pull back from him and grin.

"He's just too sweet."

"Yeah, I don't even know how you all are related." James snorts playfully and I roll my eyes and push him slightly. Then, I notice Kathy behind him. All in one blur we both talk at once.

"I've missed you so much!" I say as she moves forward to hug me.

"You're so beautiful darling!" She gasps. "I love your hair it's just perfect!" I hug her tightly and pull away.

"It's been like a dream come true here." I say. It was so weird seeing my relatives inside the palace. It was like seeing two totally unrelated things sitting right next to each other.

"I'm glad. I can't wait to see everything and you can tell me all about the prince." Kathy says to me and I turn, realizing everyone had started to lead their families inside and pick up Colton.

"I'm sorry I can't help it. I haven't seen you in too long." I say to Colton and kiss the side of his face. He just giggles. I look to my left and I saw Will standing exactly where he had been earlier, with his eyes on me.

"You guys walk right in I'll be in there in just a minute." I say and hand Colton to Kathy. I make my way excitedly over to Will with a big goofy grin playing my face. "Did you hear him? He's talking! He's never talked!"

"I did hear." Will starts to beam just as I had. "And that's amazing. Probably the best reunion I've seen so far."

"I really can't believe it though." I say still smiling as I close my eyes. "I'm going to go talk to him again bye!" I say and run back into the palace with my family standing there. "I'll show you guys your room. You got two to share but Colton can stay in my room I don't care."

Kathy and James both nod and I lead them up to the guest hallway with the numbers of the rooms I'd been told they'd have. I walk them both in and let Kathy settle herself in one and James in the other.

"Okay so Kathy and I will be at tea with the princess and queen in two hours and James and Colton will be going with the king, prince, and King Logan. Maids are going to come up to get you all ready in just a few minutes." I tell them all in the hallway.

"We have maids?" James repeats in more of a question.

"They're actually very sweet ladies." I say then hold my breathe. I remembered Tina and I stood there for just a minute before speaking again. "I love all of mine." Kathy and James nod but Colton seemed more interested in his button up shirt.

"I'll see you all soon." I say to them and turn to leave, but I almost ran right into Paige.

"This is your brother?" She says with wide eyes at Colton. "He's so cute." Kathy and James stood with nearly open jaws seeing the princess of Illéa so casually talking to me.

"Yeah. That's Colton." I say with a laugh. Colton didn't seem surprised by the attention since I knew he received it frequently.

"Hi buddy, how do you like the palace?" She asks and squats to his level.

"Good." He answers simply with a sweet and proud smile.

"That's what I want to hear." She says with a grin and stands to her full height. "Hi I'm Paige you must be Autumn's family." She says to James and Kathy. They were both slightly confused by her sudden appearance but smiled anyway.

"This is James, my cousin and Kathy, my aunt." I say with a slight smile as I introduce them.

"Nice to meet you both." She says with a smile. "I better be off though before the others expect me to meet their families also. Also Will is looking for you I believe." Paige says to me.

"Thank you Paige. Bye!" I wave her off and turn to James and Kathy. "I guess I have places to be. I'll see you all soon." I say and walk away. They all call out their see you soons and I make my way down the steps. I see Will standing and observing the girls from the staircase completely hidden to them.

"I was told you were looking for me." I say to him as I turn the corner.

"Yeah, well, I was hoping to meet your family." Will shrugs and says nervously. "I'm afraid others will come up to me soon but I really want to meet yours first."

"They are getting ready now but you can hide out in my room while I get ready. My maids won't mind." I tell him.

"That'd be wonderful. Thank you." He says and follows me up to my room.

The entire time my maids were doing my hair and makeup Will sat on the edge of my bed and watched.

Everything had begun to feel so natural with him and everything I had thought would bother me hasn't bothered me a bit. I was scared to know why.