Chapter 7

When they had bathed me, which was very uncomfortable, redid my makeup, did my hair, and dressed me, I looked more like a Queen than the doll they had dressed me up to look like earlier.

I still wore a ball gown, which I loved, but instead of the sweetheart neckline, it had golden lace sleeves with lace traveling passed my waste and ending, then crawling from the bottom. Under the lace was a creamy gold color that complimented my complexion a lot.

"This is beautiful, girls

"This is beautiful, girls." I tell them with a smile. I had learnt their names were Liliana, Amelia, and Tina. "I love it."

"Oh we are so glad." Amelia smiles. She had done my makeup for the most part which consisted of thin eyeliner and glittering eyeshadow. I had a bit of highlighter to make my complexion pop and a thin layer of lip gloss. My hair was also in a loose, thick Dutch braid down my back.

"I think I might go explore with some of the extra time I have on my hands." I tell the girls. They nod and I step out into the hallways of the castle. The velvet on the floor made it hard to slide, which was useful. Though, I had on short heels, it was still hard to walk in.

I walk down the steps onto the first floor and wondered around the hallways. I had been told only the third floor and gardens were off limits without being accompanied by royalty or a guard.

As I walk through the hallways, I study the architecture of the columns and blindly wonder by doors I would probably never know what hid behind.

I find a painted picture on the wall and study it. I recognized the King and Queen. Every time I'd seen King Alex and Queen Charlie I always thought they were so lucky to my so in love. You could see it on their faces.

"Do you like it?" A voice beside of me speaks. I jump slightly and step backwards before turning to see the voice.

I recognize light brown hair and familiar blue eyes. The prince of Illéa, successor of the crown, and person I would try and find love with.

"I'm so sorry." I apologize and step back again. "I didn't know I wasn't supposed to be here I was just curious." I say honestly.

"No," Prince William said. "I'm actually the one not supposed to be here. I'm trying to hide from this pep talk I'm supposed to have with my dad on the Selection."

"Sounds fun." I say, laughing nervously and playing with my fake nails. I hated the stupid things and had hit them on more than twenty things already. "I'm Autumn Meadows by the way, your Highness." My mouth twitches, unsure whether to smile or just hide my face.

"You can just call me Will." He says. "I really don't like being called prince or anything."

"Okay." I say, unsure.

"Let's walk. We have nearly a half hour before dinner and neither of us have anything better to do." He says, offering his arm to me. I try to keep from choking as I link my own arm with his and follow him down the hall.

I'd never been so intimate with someone I had just met before and didn't understand the palaces way of doing things. Where I live, when you meet someone you might hold hands after a few days of dating. I'd never even done that.

"Do you like the palace?" He asks me.

"How couldn't you? It's huge and beautiful. But it's weird having people bathe you, and do your makeup and hair." I shrug.

"Are your maids nice though?" He asks.

"Yes very. It's just weird since they're the same caste as me and here I'm treated like more than them." I say simply.

"My mother always said she had a hard time coping with everything here, but it became easier." He promises.

"I guess so." I reply softly.

"Did you get your hair cut?" He asks me. I turned with confused eyes.

"I was watching as the girls came in from the library window. I wanted to see them when they weren't as changed with makeup and dresses first." William says honestly.

"Well, yes. I did cut my hair. I felt like I was in need for a change." I shrug. "And it wasn't very healthy."

"I like it." The way he could continue to stare without feeling uncomfortable almost broke me. I looked down at my dress. "Have you met the other girls yet?"

"A few. I haven't really talked to them a lot though. They all seem nice though." I reply honestly. "I stayed home most of the time before I came here so I didn't really go to a lot of social events." I laugh nervously.

"How come?"

"I stayed home with my mother. She has dementia, so the doctors say, and I don't like to leave her alone." I'd worried about her since the moment I got here.

"I'm sorry." I looked up he looked honestly sympathetic.

"It's not your fault." I tell him. We walk in a comfortable silence for a few minutes Before he stops in his tracks.

"The dinner will start soon, but until Next time?" He turns to me and releases my arm, still holding onto my hand.

"Until next time." I agree with an unhideable grin. He dips to meet my hand and leaves a gentle kiss on it before walking away with a smile.

I had just met the prince of Illèa and the strange part was— nobody else had yet. I couldn't help but walk away with undeniable happiness.

Will had not been half as bad as I had assumed after meeting the man from the palace. I was actually overly impressed with the way he had acted and unexpected joy.