Chapter 51

The first day had went by rather easily but the next week I didn't leave the house, and only left my room a few times a day. After reading about past coups I didn't know what to make of anything.

I sit on my bed twirling the silver ring around my finger. I didn't wear it in public, but looked at it every night when I was alone.

Before I could realize it, my door creaked open and a familiar voice spoke at it.

"Autumn—" It was James, pushing open my door slowly with his head down, but I didn't have enough time to think. "I think we need to talk."

When he enters the room he looks up at me and I sit speechless with the diamond ring in my hand. James's eyes widen and he shuts the door behind him and turns the lock.

"Please Tell me that isn't what I think it is." James basically begs. I sit up on my bed and hold the ring inside my closed hand.

I try to think of something to say, but nothing seemed to help matters. This ring could very well put my entire life in danger if someone were to find it.

"Autumn. I think that ring mean you are the potential future queen. I think that it means that you know every little detail going on with the royal family now and I'm almost positive that ring is putting you at risk." James says quietly but with a serious expression. There was no playing around or joking today.

"I'm sorry. I shouldn't have gotten it out." I say quietly and tuck it in my bag. "It's nothing. Just a gift and I don't know anything about the government shutdown."

"You were never a good liar, Autumn. Especially with me. I want the entire and complete truth then I don't want to hear about this ever again." James says in a low whisper and sits in front of me on the bed.

I hold my breath and turn the ring around behind my hands. I look down and my hair fell in front of my face.

"It was the night before I was sent home. He proposed and I thought it was the best thing that had ever happened to me. The next morning I thought he was announcing it but he announced the selection was canceled instead. The night before he proposed there was an attack, but it wasn't just a rebel attack. There were people trying to take over the government. The royal family is hiding now because they were put in danger and I'm here so I can't be hurt. Which means the royal family isn't safe. Will isn't safe." I breathe out and look down at the ring where my entire future would rest.

James just sits there quietly. Neither of us knew how to address the issue that has been set in front of us so we stay quiet.

"Keep it away. Don't tell anyone else and don't talk about it any more than you have to. Don't talk to reporters and keep a low profile. And Autumn, one of the most important things, don't try and contact him or anybody else out there." James says, staying quiet.

I stare at James with tears forming in my eyes and my hands nearly shaking.

"Promise me That, Autumn. You have to be careful because this is not just a government shutdown anymore." James whispers and holds onto my hands tightly.

"He's out there." I whisper and look away from James and to the window.

"Autumn promise me you won't send any letters. You won't try and figure out where he is because all your doing is putting him and you in danger." James tells me and tries to get me to look at him. "Please."

"Fine. I promise." I look down and pull my hands from his. "Leave me alone."

I wanted to be alone and I didn't want to talk about it any more. At first I really didn't think he would leave me so easily, but then I hear the lock and the door shut quietly. I was alone. I hold the ring close to my chest and fall asleep.

•••

"Darling, dinner is ready." I hear Kathy on the other side of the door and wake up from my short nap. I sit up in the bed and hide the ring away in my bag. I kept on the seashell ring that he'd given me though and walked downstairs to the table.

Everything was set up perfectly at the table and there was one empty spot between James and Colton. I sit there quietly as Davy says the prayers and they begin to eat.

"The Report wasn't on last night." Kathy comments. I knew she didn't mean to pry but she didn't realize I had so much to hide.

"I know, it was weird. The screen was just black the entire night." My uncle comments as he picks apart the green beans and finds the beans. I look at my plate and slide the food around trying to avoid eating it.

"Autumn, so you think you could take Colton to daycare tomorrow? I have to go in early for work." Kathy says to me.

"Sure." I nod and put a piece of pork in my mouth so she wouldn't question me anymore. I knew she just wanted me to get out more than I had recently.

•••

The next morning I wake up early and put on a baseball cap and slide on an old jacket with leggings.

"Hey Colton." I say as I go in the Kitchen and he sits at the table with pancakes. He was nearly finished when I walked in.

"Auntie Kathy left these for you." Colton points to a plate beside of him with three neatly stacked pancakes.

"I'll eat them on the way." I tell Colton. "I don't want to make you late."

Colton slides from the chair as I take his plate to the sink and grab his bag for him and head out the door with his hand in mine. There hadn't stopped being Cameras around since I'd came home. I see them trying to stay secret around me, but I could find them too easily.

"What do you like to do in daycare?" I ask Colton trying to start up conversation.

"I like to draw with Sarah and KJ." Colton says to me. "Sarah says I'm really good."

Sarah was one of the young workers there who was probably in her mid twenties. I'd talked to her a lot about Colton before he started talking.

"Oh really? I liked to draw as a kid too. You should bring your drawings home some time." I tell him. I honestly really wanted to see the drawings because I knew I loved to show others mine.

"I'll bring some home today." Colton smiles at me as we come upon the daycare. "Will you come pick me up?"

"Of course. Anything." I say and move down to his height. "I love you. Have a good day at day care and I'll come pick you up before dinner."

"Love you too, sissy." Colton says and hugs my neck before turning back and leaving with his back pack and entering the front door. I sigh and stand up to head back.

"Lady Autumn!" Of course. More reporters. I pull my baseball cap farther over my eyes and try to ignore them. "Would you be able to meet for an interview with our live morning news?"

I ignore them again. All the other girls would probably be interviewed, so why would they need me?