Chapter 47

"All girls will be sent home tonight. I'm very sorry to announce this, but there is going to be a government shut down." Will says confidently but walks away as soon as he makes this decision.

I didn't stand because I knew my legs wouldn't hold me. My hands visibly shook and I knew my face had fallen dramatically. The other girls were beginning to talk and stand up to leave, but I was frozen to my seat.

I was supposed to be engaged. I had the ring sitting in an otherwise empty drawer in my room and I couldn't wait to move into the Princess's suite because it was directly connected to Will's room and I'd never have to push for his time.

"Autumn, are you alright?" Paige comes over to me with a worried face, but I can't find the right words to respond. I nod and look down at my trembling legs. "I'm so sorry. He didn't know and I'm sure he would've told you earlier if he did."

Paige sits in front of me and holds both of my hands in hers. She had a concerned expression on her face but I was struggling to keep myself together as it was.

"He proposed." I whisper quietly since the Selected had left and the rest of the Royal Family was across the room, along with Will.

"He what?" Paige asks completely taken aback.

"Last night in the gardens." My voice shakes as I speak and I feel her hands tighten around my own to keep them from shaking, but she seems distracted from something else.

"Can I Please talk to her?" I hear Will say behind me and nearly have a melt down because of his cracking voice.

"Go ahead." She whispers quietly and leaves. Will takes both my hands and tries to help me up, but soon realizes I could barely support myself.

"Please help me out here." Will whispers softly. I didn't respond but try harder to make my legs move and stand up beside of him. The King, Queen, Paige, and Logan all stood on the other side of the room and I felt eyes on me.

"What happened?" I barely make a noise as I say it and we walk outside to an empty hallway.

"The attack yesterday was more than just an attack. It's people threatening to take over the kingdom by extreme measures such as bombing. I didn't hear about it till just now. My family and I are all going to a private place where we won't be found and targeted, but there is still that chance." Will breathes out. "I can't let you get hurt like that if somewhere were to happen."

"Will, when I told you I wanted to marry you I wasn't lying." I keep it short because I was already beginning to feel tears rise to my eyes but I kept them down from pure shock.

"I know you weren't." Will says, stopping only because a tear fell down his cheek. I'd never seen him cry before. "I have to keep you safe though. I can't lose you."

"Okay." I say simply and stand up.

"Im so sorry." Will says as he stands with me. "Don't tell anyone about the engagement. Then you and your family will be targeted to try and find us."

"Okay." I answer again and turn to walk up the stairs. I was about to collapse and just lay there.

I force myself up the stairs and to my room without a second thought, or no thoughts at all. I tried to keep my mind as blank as possible.

When I get to my room my maids stand there with a look of utter shock.

"Did you hear?" I ask them and sit on the bed.

"There's been a coup." Liliana mutters with a distant look. "We've always been told that one day this might happen, but never before has it actually happened."

"We need to get your things packed. You never know what might happen." Amelia says quickly. She went through the drawers and wardrobes to make sure I had nothing else, but I still hadn't gotten up. "Oh."

I could hear as Amelia opened the drawer at the top of my nightstand and the small piece of jewelry hitting the sides. Amelia comes to me with the ring in her palm.

"You can't tell anyone. He's just trying to protect me and my family." I make out the words quietly. Liliana had gotten quiet too and was just watching what played out.

"When did it happen?" She asks quietly as she puts the ring on the bed beside of me.

"Last night. In the gardens." I breathe out and pick up the beautiful ring.

"Then go home and stay safe." Amelia says to me. "If the prince thinks it's best for you to go home then you shall. And when this threat is over everything might just return to normal."

"What if it doesn't?" My voice was uneven and my breathing was coming in unusually long gasps.

"You have to put your trust in him. Give it time and you may be back here sooner than you think." Amelia says to me and begins to put my things in my bag.

"Stay safe, Miss. When everything had cleared up we will try and write you. Besides, we'd love to be the ones designing your wedding dress." Liliana smiles at me and encourages me to get off the bed.

"I sure hope so." I say and manage a small laugh and hug her. "Thank you both."

"It's been our pleasure, Miss. we will be sure to see you soon." Amelia says kindly to me and I pull her into a forced hug.

"I couldn't have been more honored to have such amazing maids. I'm going to miss you both dearly."

And that was one of my most difficult goodbyes, but not the worst to come in the next few long hours.