Chapter 5

The next day I dressed in black leggings and a white shirt just like every Selected was instructed to do. I walk downstairs into the living room where the entire family sits. My eyes scan around and come across an unfamiliar man who sits on the couch with them.

"Hello Lady Autumn." The man says. "Would you mind if we had a word alone before we headed off to the airport?"

"Sure." I nod and take him into the kitchen. The man pulls out a small paper and lays it in front of him.

"I only have a few questions for you and a few tips or advice." The man says. "You do understand that while you are at the palace your family will receive money?"

"Yes."

"Can you fill out the address and the names of your family who will receive the money? Only direct relatives or caregivers can receive the money." The man says.

I take the paper from him and write down the information for where my family will receive the money and what sort of pay and the two members.

"And one more question, Lady." The man coughs uncomfortably. "We are required to ask this of you, but we need your confirmation that you are still a virgin."

My eyes widen and I'm taken aback by his question. Of course I was a virgin, it was required by law.

"Yes. I am." I say simply and politely. The man nods and stands by the door.

"And also, it wouldn't be wise to disagree with the prince. He's of a much higher caste than you and bad things Can happen if you refuse him." I stood there speechless as he left the room. I used to be excited about meeting the price and praying he was just as kind as he seemed on camera, but what if he wasn't? What if he was cruel or rude or just in this for a wife instead of love?

"The car is here to take you to the airport, Autumn!" I hear James yell in the living room. I push through the door and meet James gaze. I was petrified. "You okay?" He asks me as he sees my face.

"I'm fine." I lie. I walk over and grab my bag which Kathy had helped me pack the day before. I saw flashes of cameras and realized too soon that there had been cameras watching me the second I left the kitchen. I wish they had shut the blinds.

"Let's get you into the car. We are going to drive behind you and say goodbye at the airport." Kathy tells me and hurries our to the car. I walk over to my mother who sits in the armchair silently.

"I love you so much. I'll see you soon okay? Goodbye." I kiss her cheek and stand up and just look at her. My uncle comes up behind me and puts a gently hand on my shoulder.

"I'll watch her while everyone goes to the airport." He tells me. My uncle and I were never extremely close but it hit him as hard as it hit me when she became ill.

"Thank you." I smile and hug him. "Thank you for keeping them both I love you so much." I say and release him.

"Don't worry I'll take care of them." He smiles and sits beside of my mother. "Have fun." I smile and leave into the car. Kathy was getting Colton and James into the car behind the sleek black one that I stepped into. I breathe out and wait for the ride to start.

It only takes probably half an hour until I start to hear loud cheers outside the airport. I look out and there were crowds of people around the airport entrance. My eyes widen as they hold up signs with words written on them, but I couldn't read them without my glasses.

"This is your stop Lady Autumn. Your family will be escorted inside as well for final farewells." The driver of the car tells me. I nod and grab my small bag and step out of the car. People start to cheer as I step out and I smile. It was weird having so many people know your name after only being on Television once.

Men in Black suits follow me through the crowds of people and into the building. Inside, there were ropes sectioning myself off from the crowds. I had plenty of room to walk here and could see where my walkway ended at the opening leading to the plane.

I turn around to look for my family and my eyes meet theirs. I smile and walk backwards to them. First, I squat down and wrap my arms around Colton's thin body.

"I love you so much, okay? You're gonna be good for James right? You aren't going to cause any problems?" I ask. He smiles with a glint in his eye of mischief. "Oh be good." I say teasingly and kiss him one more time.

As I let him go Kathy picks him up and sets him on her hip. I smile and hug her too.

"Thank you for being there for me when I didn't have anyone else even when you didn't have to." She smiles back at me and hugs me again.

"Don't worry about it. I'll keep up with everything and make sure everything is okay." She promised me.

"Thank you." I tell her and move onto James. He hooks his arm with mine and leads me a little farther down the path.

"So where do you want us to put the money. Your mom nor brother can keep up with it so I'm guessing I will be putting it in an account for them?" He asks.

"Yes. Please. Don't let Colton get whatever he wants though, we don't need a spoiled toddler on our hands." I tell him with a laugh. "But with the first check you get, teach him to ride a bike. There is a bike he really wanted at the store on the corner and we've never been able to afford it but I want him to have it."

"I can do that." James tells me. "Is that it?" He asks me. I think through everything that might worry me.

"I think so." I nod.

"Then this is goodbye, eh?"

"Oh shut up you'll see me if I get sent home soon." I snap playfully at him. "If not they have visiting day if i make it to the Elite."

"Only Colton would get to come and one person to go with him though. I've already checked on it." James tells me, his face falls. Only immediate family and since Colton want old enough to go alone one other person.

"Ma can't come. She's not strong enough." I look down. "I want you to come. If I make it, of course. Colton likes you a lot. He's comfortable with you."

"Okay. I will." James hugs me one more time and pulls back. "Just don't worry about it. Everything is going to go like it's supposed to and I'll write you a lot okay?"

"I'll write you back then." I smile back. "I love you, James." I say one more time.

"I love you too." James tells me and steps back toward Kathy and Colton. "Now go be who you are and say what you feel. Because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."