Chapter 42

The next morning I dress in a simple black dress that used to be my mothers. The sleeves were made of a fine lace that at the time was really expensive.

"I'm going to go by and see if Kiera is able to come." I tell Will and step out the door while sliding the key into the loose siding of the house.

"Is that the girl you were talking to yesterday?" Will asks as he follows me to the front door of her house.

"Yeah." I nod and knock gently on the door. I hear the thud of footsteps inside the house. Kiera appears a moment later at the door with her blond hair combed back into a braid and her face clean and washed, but her eyes were pink from crying. "How is your brother?" I ask.

"He's doing better. Medicines are kicking in and he's looking a lot healthier." She says beaming then noticing Will beside of me. She doesn't even seem a bit uncomfortable as she smiles happily and curtsies swiftly. "Hi, I'm Kiera."

"You don't have to curtesy." Will says lightheartedly. "And you can call my Will."

She nods slightly and steps out of her house. We head down the dirt road in silence.

"I miss her company, you know." Kiera says eventually. Kiera had never known my mother until we moved to the trailer so she'd never actually had a conversation with her. "I would talk to her and confess in her and even though she didn't talk, it was almost better. Since every time I tried to talk to my family I always got the answer I didn't want so I was happy she didn't even talk back."

"Yeah, me too." I say smiling sadly. "Thank you for all that you did for her. You never had to but you always did and I really appreciate that."

"You're welcome." She says. We walk the rest of the way to the funeral home in silence. The cemetery was right beside of the funeral home which was easy enough for us all.

I see James by the door with Colton and go over to him. I was guilty for not spending enough time with them while I've been here and it felt wrong.

"Hey buddy." I say gently and kneel in front of him. "Did you sleep good?" I wanted to hear him talk again more than anything.

He nods and attempts a smile but it was weak and he seemed sad. His eyes were clouded with tears that I wasn't sure how long they'd hold through.

"Come here. It's all right." I say and pick him up and hug him tightly. I feel him shaking in my arms and his warm tears seep through my sleeve.

"Was it me?" He looks up and asks. As much as I wanted to hear his voice, I wish he hadn't said these words.

"No, darling, no. Of course not. This isn't your fault at all, in fact, mama is in a better place where she can talk and walk now." I say and brush his hair from his face.

"She never talked to me." He hiccuped and sat looking at me in my lap. I'd barely noticed I left Will and Kiera behind but they seemed to be standing not far away from me.

"She was just sick, but now she's better." I smile and wipe his cheeks with my sleeve.

"She's just not here." He hiccups again, bouncing slightly on my knee.

"That's right." I say quietly. "But don't worry about it. She's gone, but she's happier now."

"Promise?" He mutters. I smile and nod.

"I promise." I pick him up and set him on the ground with his hand in my own.

"Can you come home tonight?" He asks me and looks up.

"Of course." I say and smile back at him.

"You Can come see my room." He beams and walks with me to Will and Kiera.

"Great." I smile and squeeze his tiny fingers.

People talk in speeches but I didn't want to listen to any of them. I had my own speeches planned in my head that I could think over, but nobody would ever hear it.

Throughout the short ceremony surrounding the open hole in the ground. I hold Colton steadily on my hip and when anything got difficult not to cry, I'd just pull him closer. Will stood on my other side and even though I couldn't see him I could feel his presence beside of me.

"Not all of us got the chance to meet a beautiful woman but we all stand around here today to remember her forever in peace." Our old church pastor smiles sadly and looked among us.

It took nearly an hour for the Seven's to cover the grave. James had offered multiple times to help them but they argued against it since this was their job and they were being payed for their work.

•••

"See the creek used to be higher, but I guess it's dried up a bit." I frown and look at the creek that would probably only reach my knees. "But it still looks like the same clear water from ten years ago."

"It's beautiful regardless." Will mutters and looks around the small clearing that was so dear to me.

"Yeah." I nod with a smile and move closer to a small bush with bright fruit hanging from. "It's almost winter and it's all still alive." I grin and run the smooth leafs between two of my fingers.

"Maybe we will have a nice, warm winter." Will smiles and comes up behind me.

"Maybe." I smile hopefully.

We stay for nearly an hour and enjoy the soft breeze and low sunlight before we headed to James's house just like I promise Colton.