Chapter 37

We head home the next evening and I sleep the entire way home while resting my head on Will's shoulder. Nearly half of the girls left on another plane and only four of us sat on this plane.

Josie, Eden, me and a girl named Aida who I'd never talked to stayed here. Aida was quiet and proper and acted as though every little thing seemed forbidden. Josie like to talk and chatter along with Eden so they talked quiet a bit.

I sat in the Women's Room after meeting with my maids for the first time in a while and watched the news. Scenes from the weekend were playing on the TV and I was interested to see what they consisted of.

It started with short clips of each of the girls talking with others and then showed us by the fire pit. Cameras seemed to be particularly focused on Will who had his arm strung around me. I felt uncomfortable giving the fact that the queen and Paige both sat near me on the couch as I try and look distracted while drinking my tea.

Next it shows the camera following Kendal and Will away and my attention sparks to the television. Will sits beside of her on the sofa and she smiles sweetly. 

"I believe we need to talk about Autumn." She says while twisting her hair slightly. "I don't think she is here for the right reasons."

The entire Women's Room became unusually quiet and a few eyes even flickered to me. The girls stopped talking and reading and the maids stood still as they held the teapots. Paige stiffened to my right and I had no idea what the queen was thinking.

"Why do you say that?" Will asks calmly and furrows his eyebrows together.

"Well, She's young and has never been in a real relationship before. I think it's more of a game to her." Kendal says quietly. Will doesn't say anything but leans forward close to her ear. I assumed he meant for the cameras not to hear it but they ended up picking it up anyway. 

"I heard what you were saying earlier today. Autumn was there too and believe me when I tell you this; she is here for the right reasons and I am keeping her here for the right reasons. The real question is, do you think you are here for the right reasons?" Will draws back and Kendal seems speechless. "There is a plane leaving tonight, you better go get your bags packed."

Everyone stood speechless, including me. I sit as quietly as possibly and try and look occupied, but instead a distraction takes the attention away from me.

A loud knock sounds from the Women's Room Door and the queen sends her permission to enter. King Alex paces in swiftly with a distant look on his face.

The king stops in front of the couch I sit on and sends me a glance before turning to his wife.

"I must speak with you immediately." He says urgently. The queen nods without a word and quickly makes her way to the door and out. Everyone stayed quiet when they left and Paige looked at me.

"What did Kendal say about you?" She asks me confused. Her eyes seemed accusing like she was going to find Kendal herself and slaughter her and I smiled having such a good friend.

"It's a log. Story but I'll tell you later of course." I smile at her and she nods understandingly.

The queen pushed the door back open and her eyes meet with mine. Blue and piercing; just like Will's.

"I would like everyone to stay put in the Women's Room while I handle some business. But Autumn, I'd like to speak with you." Her voice was soft and sympathetic. Did it involve Kendal?

I stood in fear and made my way to the door. When I step out I look around and Will stands to my left with his father beside of him and the queen completing the small circle.

"What's wrong?" I ask as I notice the dress in their faces.

"Autumn, we've received news from your family that your mother has passed away this morning." Queen Charlie says simply. She looks down at her hands as she says this. I stare at her for moments longer until I feel skin meet my own on my arm.

"My mother?" I make out, sounding as confused as I was. "But she was healthy before I came here."

"Your aunt told us it was extremely sudden and we would allow you to go home for the funeral and to spend a few days with your family." The king tells me. I stare blankly and rethink the words in my head to make sure I heard him right.

"I-" I begin to speak but I didn't know what to say. She was fine not long ago. Why would she be dead now? The doctors said she had years to go and maybe get better. I'd been holding on this hope that she's wake up from this trance one day and now it was over. All over. "I've got to go."

I hold my breathe as I begin up the stairs to get to my room. I had to get away because I felt some sort of breakdown coming on.

Halfway up the set of stairs I feel Will's familiar hand on my arm and I immediately turn to him and bury my face in his shoulder with my arms around his neck. My entire body shakes with harsh sobs and I forget the queen and king were watching me.

"I'm here. I've got you." Will mutters little things into my ear and holds onto me as my knees seem to stop working. "Let's go to your room, come on." He says gingerly and helped me up the stairs and through the hallways. He took my away from the people and pushed open my bedroom door. I vaguely recall my maids leaving and Will shutting the door to block me from anyone who might come in.

He lays me in the bed and sits above me, letting me cry onto his chest.

"Please don't go." I say between sobs and grip tightly to his shirt. I feel one arm wrap tightly around me and hold me close to him and the other gently tuck my hair out of my face.

"Never." Will says quietly. "I'll sit here all day and night. I'm not leaving you, I promise. Tomorrow we are leaving for the funeral in the morning and I'll make sure your maids are prepared to get you up and ready."

"We?" I ask.

"My parents said I could come with you. The funeral is private and people don't approach me in public." He says quietly. "Don't worry about it."

I was happy he would be able to come too. I needed to stay together in front of my family. With that, I fall asleep with sobs still shaking my body.