Chapter 52

That evening I make the same walk to pick up Colton. I knew the cameras were watching me, but I ignored them and waited for daycare to release. I saw other parents waiting for their kids happily and together. There were couples standing together; husbands holding their wives to protect them from the cold and waiting on their child to get out of daycare.

It was all bittersweet at the same time, seeing people so happy together. All of them were just starting out their lives and here I was, supposed to be doing that but conflict seemed to win my case over.

The looks I got weren't comforting either. A lot of people either pointed and stared like I was a criminal or looked at me like I was some sort of celebrity. Neither of which, I felt accepting as a title.

"Sissy!" I hear Colton say excitedly with papers flying wildly in his hands as he runs. "Here. I drew them for you."

He hands me a piece of paper. I looked it closely. It was an image from the trailer; a picture I had kept there since we moved. It was a picture of my entire family before everything became horrible. Me, fourteen years old, my mother and father, and little Colton.

"It's the picture you always kept." He says as he watches my face as I stare at the papers. Of course, the art wasn't fantastic, but it was recognizable because of the colors and the angles.

"It's beautiful." I say and smile to him. "Thank you buddy."

"You're welcome." Colton says and smile as we start our walk down the street. I turn back around and see some of the couples holding their kid together. One had even started to play wrestle his mother while in his fathers arms.

•••

That night at dinner there was an awkward silence. Everything had been different since I arrived and everyone had a mixed up schedule.

"I think I'm going to move back to the trailer." I announce and break the chain of silence.

"Autumn, don't feel out of place here. You know we love having you stay here." Kathy speaks up and sets her fork down. Colton turns to me with a sweet face.

"You're leaving? You just got back." Colton says to me with a frown.

"I'm just going back to the trailer. I'm not going far and I can come visit whenever." I shrug.

"You really don't need to leave. There is no point in it. If you go back to the trailer you will be alone all day which will suck." James says and I can hear the anger in his voice, but he of all people should understand my reasoning for going.

"I just need time to get over things." I say with a slight shrug.

"You don't have to do it alone though." James retorts. I really didn't expect him to become so involved with this top. I mean, it didn't really affect him that much.

"I think she should be allowed to make her own decisions." Kathy shrugs. "As much as we love to have you here, you are old enough to decide that for yourself."

"Thank you." I reply and continue eating quietly.

"Autumn, could we talk?" James says. Now his face was turning pink with fury, but I didn't know why.

"Sure." I mutter with agitation clear in my voice as I push my chair back with my legs. I follow James into his bedroom and lean against the wall. "What do you want?"

"I don't want you to go, Autumn. Not after what you told me the other night. It's not safe and I don't want anything happening to you if you're alone." James says harshly.

"I can take care of myself, James!" I couldn't believe he was doubting me. "I've done it for years!"

"You haven't been one or the final Elite for years." James replies.

"Why don't we just go eat dinner?" I suggest and start toward the door in his room. "I'll be on my way home in the morning."

James follows me reluctantly and sits down beside of me at the table. Everyone was uncomfortably quiet and didn't say anything until I dismissed myself and went to my room. 

My things were already packed since I decided earlier it would be best to live alone until I can figure out what is going to be the next steps in my life. I pick up the bag that had been set in my floor.

I twist the seashell ring around my finger and feel the breeze of the beach, hear the waves crashing against the shore, feel the mist hitting my bare legs, feel Will's presence beside of me, and wish that I could be there again.

•••

The next day I stand in the trailer alone after goodbyes with the others. I sit my bag on my bed that I had shared with Colton for so long and stare out the window to the other dimly lit trailers.

It was raining tonight and the clouds guarded my view from the stars like they almost always did in this town.

I hear the soft sound of dripping and make my way to the living room. The ceiling was leaking again. I kept buckets in the closet for this very reason. I sit down in the floor with one of the grey metal buckets and lean against the rocking chair my mother always sat in.

I've never had a romantic relationship in my life, but for some reason, I was more lonely now than ever.