Chapter 54

The sleek black car that waits for me outside tells me I know exactly where I am going. I slip inside the car as the other man casually sits in the drivers seat.

"I figure you've already put the puzzle pieces together?" The man says as he begins to drive away. I look in the rear view mirror and see the man with a hint of a smile.

"I think so, but I need confirmation." I tell him as my body somehow refuses to be still with all the excitement.

"You are going back to see the royal family. You will be there by the end of the day, but you aren't going to the palace. The family is still in hiding and that is all the information I can give you on that topic." The man was formal and nearly sounded robotic. "During this government lockdown, you will be treated like one of the royal family. You are not allowed to leave the premises at any cost until all of this is sorted out. Understand?"

I nod my head stiffly and mumble a form of yes.

"Are you close to the family?" I ask him, trying to make this ride go by as short as possible.

"I'm prince Will's butler. He's talked about you a lot. Since the beginning." The words the man speak soothe me in a way I'm sure he will never understand.

"Did He Tell you—" I was cut off by the man.

"About the engagement? I knew before you did." The man's smile was joking and sweet. I could see why Will was so close to him. "He's mossed you. More than you can imagine."

I almost felt guilty for a minute. It barely slipped my mind that Will would be hurting too. He just seemed so strong all the time, I assumed he'd be fine. I thought I was the only hurting.

"What changed his mind about me staying with them?" I asked.

"That, I cannot share with you. I'm sure he will tell you soon." The man seemed to still be smiling through the news.

"What's your name again? I'm sorry I don't think I ever got it." I say to him.

"You're very talkative. I'm Theo Waters." He says through a smile. Did this man ever stop smiling?

"I'm nervous. I mean, it's been three months." I sigh and tilt my head to look out the window. I had changed, I could tell. I'd lost weight since I'd been at the palace, maybe even to an unhealthy number. My hair had grown out longer than it was before the selection even started and my entire body felt drained.

"It's been months for him too. None of his feelings have changed since your absence. If anything— for a man that has whatever he wants— he's realized what he can lose." The mans voice was comforting, but I was still nervous.

The royals would for sure be in their beautiful outfits no matter what was going on and I was only wearing a pair of jeans and a plain shirt with sleeves that met my elbows. My sneakers were dirty from the mud and snow and my jacket had lost the fluff it had when I first bought it. I hadn't even pulled my hair up and it hung over my shoulders, my dead ends needing desperate trimming.

"We will be at the airport soon." Theo tells me and looks at me through the rear view mirror.

I smile at him anyway but I just wanted to see Will again.

•••

"Why are you sitting so rigid?" Theo asks as he makes his move on the checkers board and takes one of my pieces. Well, technically it was chess, but since I never learned how to play we just pretended all the pieces were the same.

"As much as I do enjoy your company, Theo, I am really excited and nervous all at the same time." I laugh a bit as I speak and move a piece on the checkerboard that I soon realize is a very bad move when he takes another one of mine.

"I know. We are very close. I'll go ask the pilot how far until we land." The older man stands up and walks away. I noticed lines across his forehead that hint that he was aging but he didn't act like it one bit. He comes back only a few minutes later and sits across from me. "We are actually landing very soon. He said to make sure you have all your belongings and we will be on the ground in less than five minutes."

I grin and grab my bag with few belongings in it and move my head to one of the small windows. We were over the ocean with sand starting below us, which was no surprise. I guessed that this island was somewhere far away from any continent and was completely off the radar.

I feel in the small pocket in my bag for the engagement ring. I pull out the silver band and slide it onto my finger, where it belonged.

The last few minutes were harder than the entire ride here. I sat and waited for the soft thud that signaled we were on the ground and made my way to the door. The door pushes open and slides to the side and steps are released from the plane. I skip down the steps, almost missing a few and then realize I have no idea where I'm going. I look around and don't see a sign of him.

I turn back to Theo and give him a questioning look as he steps down from the final step.

"Maybe try the House." He jokes. I barely realized it was there. The entire ocean was placed in front of me with miles of sand around me and a large house, even bigger than the last one I stayed at, was sitting to my right.

I turn, and with all my belongings I step from the soft sand to the concrete porch steps. There was a wide open patio right in front of me, but all I pay attention to is the door I hear open on the other side of it.

There he was. Not exactly how I'd left him, but with messier hair and more casual clothes.

Will.

All my thoughts leave me and, however dramatic it was, I dropped my things and ran as fast as I could to him.

I've seen it in movies and however cliche, I didn't know what other way to do it. I'd waited months, why waste those few seconds.

"Autumn." He mutters as I wrap my arms around his neck and he holds my waist tightly. I didn't want to pull away. If I pulled away I was afraid it would be a dream and the whole thing would fade away.

"I was afraid you were hurt." I breathe out and somehow it turns into a small sob.

"I'm okay. Your okay. Everything okay now." Will murmurs softly into my hair. I hold onto the back of his shirt and push my face into his chest. Will pulls back barely at all and pulls one of my hands to his. He looks with bright eyes at the ring I wore on my finger.

Will keeps hold on my hand and leans forward and closes the space between our lips for a few long moments. The force of his lips against mine is something I never wanted to forget.

"I love you." Will mutters and then places his lips on my forehead. "I don't ever want to lose you again."

I smile as he does this and lean my head into the curve of his neck. I didn't know who was around us or who could see us, but to me it was just the two of us.