Epilogue

5 years later

I sit alone in my room with sobs crashing over me. It happened again even when God tempted it would work. This was supposed to be the time when it would work.

"Autumn?" I hear Will's voice and a knock at the door. I didn't want to do this to him. He didn't deserve it. I hear the squeak of the door as he pushes it open and I feel hims arms move me to the end of the bed where I sit.

"I'm sorry." I try to apologize more, but my body was shaking uncontrollably. All I could feel was his arms wrapped around me.

"It's okay." His voice was barely a whisper as he realizes what had happened. I think we both predicted it but neither of us wanted to admit it.

Two years ago Will and I decided to have our first child. Throughout the last two years I wasn't able to get pregnant except for twice and both ended in early miscarriages. This was the third. I couldn't, I didn't want to do it again.

I manage to get a view of his face and I can see tears sliding down his pale cheeks. I knew he'd try to hide it just like he always had, but I hated it for him. He had so many other things to be doing instead of worrying about this and me.

"I'm sorry. I'm trying so hard, but it's just not working." I say and wipe my cheeks off with my palms.

"It's not your fault." Will tells me and tries to ignore the tears on his face. "You can't do anything about it."

"But it is my fault. It's just my body. The doctor already told me that I probably couldn't even carry a child full term, but every single time I hold onto that hope." I say and sit back a bit.

"It's okay. You did everything you could possibly do." Will tells me and pulls me back closer to him.

"I just wanted it to work. One time." I sigh and let my body relax against his.

"I know you do." Will murmurs and pulls me closer to him. "Just get some rest. I'll still be here."

He gives me time to sleep, but all of my body just aches with a pain of losing something you've never even gotten. There's got to be something better than this.

•••

Later that night, after dinner and showers, we sat on my bed. I could tell Will was thinking about something hard, but he didn't seem eager to express it to me.

"What is it?" I ask him and stare at him intently.

"Nothing." Will shakes his head and takes both of my hands in his. 

"No tell me." I say and squeeze his hands a bit.

"I was thinking— there are a lot of kids without a home out there anyway. Why don't we adopt? I know it isn't what you wanted, but it's an option." Will shrugs and searches my eyes for an answer before I can give one.

I sit there silently and go over the possibilities. I'd seen an orphanage once in my life and it wasn't a pretty site. It was even one in Illéa which is better than most in the world. I couldn't imagine what it would be like in other countries.

"That's actually a really good idea, but I think the heir has to be of royal blood." I say after a few minutes.

"So what? Rules are broke every day. What do you say? We can talk to my parents tomorrow." Will suggests. The idea somehow makes me feel like I'm glowing. It was a wonderful thing to help someone like that. 

"No, let's talk to them tonight." I say with a mischievous grin on my face.

That night we talk to the King and Queen about the possibilities of adoption. Long story short, three months later we were on out way to Swendway to pick up our baby boy.