Chapter 40

That night I stand outside the funeral home with my family around me as they wait on the car.

"I think I'm going to go to my house. There aren't quite enough rooms at your house for Will and I and I'd be more comfortable at home." I tell Kathy and James quietly.

"Should we be worried?" James asks with an accusing eyebrow. At first I didn't understand what he was suggesting until Kathy elbowed him hard into the ribs.

"Trust her James. She just wants to be as alone right now and she can get and she can't just leave the future king of Illéa in our home." Kathy states definitely. I remember when Kathy's parents died in a car accident years ago when I was younger. It was the first time I'd been to the funeral home I stood outside now.

"Okay, okay sorry." James apologizes and pulls me into a hug. "Be safe on the way home. I'll see you tomorrow. You can show up at our house at eight if you would rather or if you'd rather walk you can be at the funeral home at eight thirty."

I nod simply and move on to hug Kathy. She pulls me close to her and squeezes me tight to her chest. I knew she understood quite a bit of my pain; more or less.

"If you ever need anything, just give me a call. I'm always here with open arms and there are days even now when it feels like yesterday." By which she meant she still thought about her parents that she'd never see again.

"Thank you Kathy." I smile as happy as I could manage and thank her.

"Anytime." She attempts her own smile and I turn back to Will who stands by the entrance and gives me space.

From there we walk to my old trailer in silence. On the way we walk by a few places I vaguely recognized school events and such happening. The neighborhood we reach before my own was very familiar though and I pointed to a yellow square house with a family feel to it.

"That was my house before my father left." I point to the cute building. Around that time I noticed an old woman in the window washing dishes at the sink. "Somehow I've always still seen this house as home even though I haven't lived there for years."

"I have a feeling it's being well taken care of." Will says definitely as I notice the freshly watered plants hanging from the porch.

"Yes, I'm sure. I've met the lady a few times before when she went to my church but I stopped going when father left too." I sigh as the woman catches sight of us in the window and waves kindly at us with a grin spread across her aged face.

I smile at her and wave. I turn back to Will and pull him along the path.

"We better go. She's probably got other stuff to be doing without us peering through her window." I say softly as we make our way down the street. "And I'm sorry about you having to stay here. It's not nearly as comfy as the palace but I couldn't stand to be in a house so full of people."

"No, it's fine. I promise." I look up at Will and he's smiling. "I've always wondered what it was like to live like a normal family instead of in a castle with your face on every magazine you pick up."

I nod and smile and continue the rest of the walk home. When we get to the old trailer park, I pull back a piece of old vinyl siding and slip the key out; it was just where I left it months ago.

As I unlock the door, I pull it open for Will to walk in first. I figured he might as well get his initial shock out of the way without me watching.

As he steps into the house I hear a door slam a house down from mine and I turn my head quickly since it was dark and this wasn't the safest neighborhood.

"Autumn!" It was little Kiera, thin as a twig which was the smallest I'd ever seen her. She didn't look healthy at all. "I'm so sorry about your mom. And I'm sorry I couldn't come to the funeral. My brother is in the hospital and I hate to leave him." She breathes out after her short rant.

"No, I completely understand it don't worry. But I didn't know your brother was in the hospital, is he okay?" I ask.

"Derek. Yes, he's alive now but he's not doing good. They say he isn't going to die, but he looks so sickly I just don't know sometimes." Kiera shrugs a bit and forces a smile. "How has it been at the palace? I've got to watch a bit of the Reports at my friends house."

"It's becoming very homely. You know, it's kinda like a fairytale of some sort." I smile.

"Is the prince Nice? I mean, I know he's probably much different than anyone here has ever been exposed to, but he seems nice from what I've seen." Kiera says bouncing slightly on her toes. I'd noticed she did that whenever she stood still for more than a few minutes.

"He actually is. It's real though and honestly everybody at the palace is nice. I haven't really made any friends out of the girls there but the maids are kind and the princess is surprisingly just like a normal teenager our age." I laugh a bit at it and turn and realize Will must've walked in and decided not to disturb me.

"Really?" She seems genuinely confused. "She always looks so well put together on television."

"I have received more than a couple of elbows in the rib from her." I laugh a bit as I say it and think about those days that seemed like long ago now. "If you like, you can meet Will. The king and queen let him come with me for the funeral."

"Really?" Her eyes got wide beyond reasoning. She looked down at her outfit which was worn out jeans and a baggy top. Her blond hair was dirty and pulled into a tight ponytail.

"Yeah. He just stepped inside." I say and nod to the door.

"I'd rather not tonight. I'm a bit of a mess both physically and emotionally but mother said if everything is fine at the hospital then I can go to the graveyard tomorrow." She says.

"I'm going to be walking with Will if you'd like to go with us?" I suggest. She smiles and nods.

"Sounds great. If I'm not there though just go on ahead something may have come up at the hospital." She says shrugging.

I sit on the small steps to the door and pat the spot beside of me for her to sit.

"How are you all on money because I'm continuing to receive checks even though Colton has plenty enough. I wouldn't want it all to go to waste and I understand how hard it is having a brother in the hospital." I say quietly to her so there was no chance of anyone hearing.

"You know, it's been hard but we are making do. My parents have been going without a lot for my siblings and I to eat, but I've been trying to help them out, you know since they are still growing. But we don't need money, I promise. I've been the replacement for you at your job while you're away. I've finished all my classes needed for a standard diploma since I packed my schedule full last year and I'm working full time." She says with a shrug.

"I'm glad he gave it to you." I smile happily.

"He said from what it looks like recently on the Report that you probably won't need to come back for it either." She grins widely and I blink a bit.

"Is it really that obvious?" I ask with a nervous laugh.

"I haven't seen much but he believes so. Does it seem like that to you?" She asks me. 

"I want to think so." I look down with a shrug.

"It's gotta mean something that he's here with you though, right?" Kiera shrugs.

"I guess so. Promise you won't tell anyone about this?" I say quieter.

"Of course I won't say anything." She seems definite.

"He's already told me he wants to marry me. He's just waiting for the end of the selection." I say smiling.

"That's great Autumn." She grins. "Maybe one day you'll be the queen." She seems to be an with excitement.

"Maybe." I try and sound modest but I'm beaming just like her.

"I better go home, but I'll try and see you tomorrow." She smiles and waves as she stands and turns on her heels to skip down the steps.