Chapter 10

"So we know none of us liked the bright pink they put you in for your photo shoot, but we made this dress a blush and nude. If you don't like it we'll get out another one, but we all think this one is the best for this occasion." Liliana says and brings out the dress.

I slipped into it and looked at myself in the full length mirror. The top was made of sheer material that was a dull sort of blush with elegant vine like lace trailing down the lighter material.

"I love it

"I love it." I say honestly. Even though I hadn't liked the pink I had worn the day before, I liked this.

My makeup was simple and similar to dinner the day before though today my hair was in a curly bun on the side of my head. Loose curls engulfed my head and made a messy updo look elegant.

"We're glad." Tina smiles and starts to rush me out the door. "You better get there early and you may get the first dance." I laugh and step into the hallways. I walk down the steps and make my way to the ballroom I had been directed to go to. There were a few girls in front of me laughing together and heading to the same place.

I walked through the towering doors and the red, intricately designed carpets changed to a shiny marble flooring with high ceilings and beautiful chandeliers. I was taken aback by the appearance of everything I forgot to even act like I knew what I was doing.

Soft music played in the background, but there was no dancing yet. I look around and see a cluster of girls surrounding the prince. I laugh to myself and make my way along the wall of the ballroom to look at everything. The tables had a creamy colored cloth on top of them and gold centerpieces. I go over to one of them and sit, with my gown falling over the edges like water.

"Hello to all the Selected!" I look up and see the king of New Asia, Logan Bridget. "Today I'm here to bring some news that I thought would be good for everyone to hear. Since I had spent years training to become the king, and now am one, I felt that I needed to come help my little brother out and take over his responsibilities here so he can focus on something very important to him. This selection."

We were all surprised by this announcement and started slowing clapping after a while.

"I want Will to be able to focus on this selection and finding the best wife and princess and future queen of Illéa." Everyone claps again as Logan continues to speak. "Thank you!"

I hear a chair squeal beside of me and whip my head around to see who it was.

The prince. Again.

"Hello." I try and say calmly but it comes out like a squeak. He'd saw the small clips of me on the news report and saw me get upset over a letter, neither of which he understand.

"Hi." He says, smiling calmly like nothing had happened.

"Look everything that happened today was really uncalled for and I wasn't expecting any of it—" he cuts me off.

"Don't worry about it. As long as you can say there's nothing important to hide then I believe you." He shrugs and waits for my answer.

"There's nothing to hide. Promise." I tell him.

"Then I don't care what it is. We can talk about it later if you like, but it's your business, not mine." He stands up and pushes his chair under the table. "So it's a ball and you're the only one here I've talked to thoroughly enough to know anything about so do you want to dance?"

I smile and take his outstretched hand. "Sure." I agree. This song was slow, but I was almost positive that was going to be a theme.

"Have you danced before?" He asks.

"Umm— my father taught me." I say simply. Which he had years ago.

Our feet moved in the same patterns and in the same directions to the rhythm of the song.

"That's sweet." He comments.

"I guess So." I shrug and look around the room. My eyes meet with a group of the Selected rolling their eyes. "They won't stop staring will they?" I ask.

"Probably not. Have you talked to any of them?" He asks.

"No, your highness."

"You can really call me Will. I don't mind. In fact I don't like the titles at all." I knew he'd already told me that, but it was weird. "Have you met any more of the girls?" He had a worried tone to his voice like he was afraid I didn't have any friends here.

"I've talked to a few but I prefer the company of my maids. They're all so sweet and are just easier to talk to." I say, smiling as I think about them.

"The Selected Have seemed fine so far." Will says like he was trying to convince me of something.

"Yes, I know that, but I get along with my maids great and I don't need to be friends with everyone here anyway. I'm okay I promise." I say laughing a little.

"I guess you are aren't you?" Will says returning the smile.

"Yes I'm fine." I grin and say matter of factly. The song ends and we break apart barely. He holds onto my hands and his eyes connect with mine.

"I'd like to take you on a date tomorrow if you would care to. I'd really like to talk about a few things." If I hadn't known the things he needed to talk about, I would've mistaken his gaze for nervous, but he was the prince.

"What time?"

"Around six. For dinner." Will says with a small smile.

"Sure." I say letting my lips widen my grin. He returns the smile and kisses my hand again before leaving me to think over what would happen the next day.