The journey | 06

I spend the next two days packing my bags for school on Monday

I spend the next two days packing my bags for school on Monday. We get uniform, which has been given to me already, but at the weekends we can wear what we want, so I have to fold up and stuff in all the clothes Rita gave me for my suitcases. I also have to pack all my makeup, my soaps, and my hair products, including straighteners.

It's weirder than I thought it would be: staying blonde. Every time I pass the mirror it nearly makes me jump, seeing a light head instead of a dark one. It's different, but somehow it takes away the embarrassing pad girl part of me, and turns her into someone who she's meant to be.

Jeez, have you ever seen so much cheese?

I'm not allowed out of the house, or any friends to see me, due to keeping my new identity of Mia as a secret. While everyone recognises me as Viola, they have never met Mia, and so shouldn't see that we're the same person.

Mum starts crying on Monday morning, when I've finished putting all my bags in the car. "I'll just miss you so much, sweetie."

I envelop her in my arms and breathe in the sweet smell that she carries, cushioning my chin on her shoulder with her fluffy curls of hair. "I'll miss you too, Mum. I love you."

"I love you too." She pulls away and places a hand on my cheek, stroking it lovingly. "It makes me feel better that you'll have Will to keep care of you."

I laugh, hugging her one last time before pulling away and walking towards the car. "It's not going to happen, Mum. He might even have a girlfriend for all you know!"

"He doesn't!" She calls out, cupping her mouth with her hands. "I asked!"

The car journey is surprisingly silent, considering I'm just about to embark to a place without my dad for a whole term

The car journey is surprisingly silent, considering I'm just about to embark to a place without my dad for a whole term. You would have thought he'd have an endless list of what not to do or where not to go but he simply stares straight ahead, moving almost robotically as he drives.

When we pull in at the train station, he grabs my stuff and jumps out of the car, waiting for me outside. After making sure I have everything, I follow and stand opposite him, taking in his features that I'll come to miss over the next few weeks. He opens his arms to give me a hug and embraces me, squeezing so hard I'm scared I won't be able to breathe.