Confession | 23

It's one week until the half term holidays, and Sydney is still annoyed with me

It's one week until the half term holidays, and Sydney is still annoyed with me. She has been avoiding Will and I's presence like the plague, dodging our hangout spots, not even speaking to our friends.

Rivers and Yates have no idea, of course, but if we don't sort this out soon, they're likely to find out. They need new leads, and at the moment, those aren't even something to consider.

"No offence, Mia, but it was your fault." Emily says on Saturday morning, when we're all snuggled up in pyjamas, drinking forbidden hot chocolate.

Amie nods her head, but there is still a look of sympathy in her eyes as she turns to me. "Yeah. It just happened at the wrong moment."

"I know." I say quietly. It's true, they are right, and it was completely my fault. Will's too, obviously, but we only have ourselves to blame.

"If I'm being honest here," Maddy intercepts, resting her steaming mug on the bedside table next to her, "I don't think that Sydney and Jake really worked well together."

The two other girls in the room nod, agreeing with Maddy. Amie finishes her drink with one last gulp, letting out a big, chocolatey grin. "Literally! That is so true. Jake just isn't the right guy for Sydney. He suits someone else, you know."

"Yeah...someone who he seems to be infatuated with." Emily adds, a knowing look on her face.

"Someone who seems to spend lots of time with him." Maddy says, wiggling her eyebrows. She crawls closer. "Someone called Mia?"

I groan, turning over so my face is buried in the pillow. I can't stand to look at their teasing smirks. Mum is already giving me torture every time I call her. "No. I don't like Jake, guys. And he doesn't like me."

"That isn't true and you know it." Amie argues, tugging on my arm so I'm forced to look at them. "Maybe we don't know if Jake likes you, but you definitely like him."

"Come, on, M. Tell us." Emily says eagerly. She sounds like a child on Christmas day, begging for presents.

I let out a loud, heartfelt sigh, elongating it as best I can before they squeeze me to death. "Okay. Fine. Fine!" They all await in silence as I dread the next few words. "I do like him. But you can't tell anyone!"

The room fills with giggles and squeals as I'm squashed by their bodies, which are simultaneously piling on top of me in one massive hug. My mouth seems to be filled with a mixture of Amie's dark plait and Maddy's pyjama top, while Emily yells that someone has twisted her arm.

At that exact moment, the door swings open, and as we look to the side, it's clear that all the boys are standing there with confused looks on their faces.

Amie flushes a deep red as her stomach is on full show, tugging her top down when we stabilize ourselves. "We were just having a hug."

"A hug?" Ash says, furrowing his brows. "You looked like you were about to suffocate each other."