Secrets | 18

Have you ever wanted to fall asleep forever? Living, of course, but eyes closed, mind relaxed? Your whole life existing for sleep and sleep only

When I was 5, I remember curling into bed with my best friend, and just falling into a deep slumber. Words weren't necessary, just being together was fine - knowing that we were both there, both with each other.

Sleep is almost as if you're transferred to another world, a different dimension. You don't have to worry about your fears or your worries, or your obligations. It's just you and sleep. Just like me and Vera, hands clasped, eyes closed. Whenever I think of sleep, I think of that moment. I think back to a time when everything was different.

"Mia." A soft voice lulls me awake, drawing my attention to the searing pain in my head, stabbing me with a knife. "Mia, breakfast is ready."

My eyes open, focussing on a tired and makeup-free face of Sydney's, her hair scraped messily into a bun. She gives me a sympathetic grimace, empathizing with my dry throat and pounding ears. "Up and at 'em."

She leaves after making sure I'm awake, giving me time to drink the water beside my bed and sort out whatever mess I'm in. At some point this morning, Will left, not in the place beside me, unlike last night.

The water cascades down me after passing through my mouth, softly stroking the excruciating desert of my throat. After feeling somewhat refreshed, I leave the room to make an attempt at finding the bathroom.

Georgia's house, which has turned into a pig sty overnight, is so large that I find myself spending 10 minutes looking for a sink.

One sink.

In a bloody mansion.

Eventually I stumble into an unnecessarily large room with a toilet and, thankfully, a sink. After using the water to my heart's content, I voyage into the unknown, relying on the sounds of distant voices to lead me to the kitchen.

It's surprisingly easier than I thought. Downstairs and cooking at the stove, is a flustered Will, wearing the large shirt from earlier and some very comfy looking sweatpants. To be honest - he looks more exhausted than me, eyes puffy and hair resembling a nest of some godlike creature.

Emily, Fred and Sydney are sitting at the table, eating in silence. Georgia is lying on the sofa, a deep gurgle at the back of her throat, arms covering her eyes as she faces the ceiling. Her hair, like a lions mane around her head, looks sticky from alcohol, holding pieces of old food captive in its rigging.

Nobody looks a nice sight.

I get a few brief nods from the table, but my movements go mostly unnoticed. That - or nobody really cares, which is probably the most likely option.

The stool groans as I drag it along the floor and place my weight on it. With a thump, I lay my head on the table, trying to drone out the sounds of ringing in my ears.