Arrival | 25

I have to spend the last 15 minutes of my journey alone in a taxi after Will goes in the opposite direction

It's quiet, being without him. Although I savour the peacefulness, knowing that I'll have to see him tomorrow anyway, when we leave to go to our cottage.

It's going to be strange, back in London as Viola, I think as the taxi drives through the buzzing streets, lights and shops flashing by as we pass. I've been Mia for so long that it almost doesn't feel right.

The high street clothing stores seem to catch my attention when we stop at a red light, reminding me of the long duration of time that I've been away for.

Sure, the countryside is nice, but London is incredible. Some people say it's too congested and polluted, but I love the excited hum of the crowds, the music on the streets, lights inviting you into cute cafés and endearing book stores.

When the taxi finally pulls into my house, I breathe in deeply, taking in the sight of the building I used to call home.

Thanking the driver, I take my bags and walk slowly up the stairs, knocking on the door anxiously. It reminds me immediately of the pad incident, when I had to wait in the pouring rain, humiliated by life.

Mum opens the door within the first few seconds, squealing with delight as she envelops me in her arms. "My baby! My baby is here! Owen! Viola is here!"

I smile into her shoulder, smelling her lavender and honey fragrance that she puts on every day. Her bushy hair is down to her shoulders, tickling my cheeks as she squeezes me more.

"Come in, come in." She says, taking my bags. I might even have caught a glimpse of a tear glinting in her eye as she turns away from me, but she speeds into the house so quickly that I don't get a chance to check.

A deep voice rumbles from behind her. "Where's my kiddo?"

"Dad!" I throw my arms around him, my head not even reaching his chest as his warmth migrates to me.

He's dressed down today, not in his police uniform or any smart clothing, just a jumper and some jeans. This gets me even more excited for the holidays.

A toned-down dad means less strict parents.

They refuse to let me take my own bags upstairs, chattering to me about how quiet the house has been as they enter my room. Remi, my wonderful fluffy cat, jumps of the bed in a greeting, walking between my legs, brushing his tail against me.

"Come downstairs, I made cake!" Mum calls as they leave, allowing me time to change.

I roll my eyes, but can't help the smile spreading on my lips. Only mum would make cake for something as unimportant as this.

Once I put my bags away and have a shower, I put on my comfy winnie the pooh pyjamas. Believe me, I have missed them endlessly after being too embarrassed to take them to Winsor Dalton. They're so soft that it's heaven to sleep in. And they come with pyjama trousers or shorts depending on the weather. I opt for the trousers, deciding that the house is still too cold after mum never puts the heating on.