Recognition | 21

I'm utterly gobsmacked as I realise who I'm sitting next to

I'm utterly gobsmacked as I realise who I'm sitting next to. While Will is off searching for something he probably won't find, I've managed to have an extremely awkward conversation with a member of the Carter family. A member of a possible terrorist organization.

Adam sits there, sensing my utter shock, because he leans back a little. "What? Heard of me before?"

"No!" I nearly shout, making him flinch slightly. "No, not at all. Just thinking that you have...a really nice name?"

Luckily, he laughs, the tension in the room slowly fading away with my worries. "Thanks, I guess. So Sydney's ditched you as well, then?"

"Yeah, she invited me, but I don't really see the point of me being here, to be honest. It hasn't been much fun." I tell him, choosing my words carefully.

Likewise with Mr. Moreau, I'm worried that he'll be able to see through me, and I don't want that. I need him to trust me, so I can get more information.

He purses his lips. "Yeah, Sydney's parents can be a little too demanding of her sometimes. I'm sure she'd rather spend this with you, but speaking to all these people is something she needs to do."

"Why?" I ask a little intrusively. Adam doesn't seem to be bothered by my behaviour, so I make the split decision to jump into what I'm here for.

If he's annoyed, he doesn't show it, shrugging slightly. "I dunno, her parents and mine have this big thing happening, but I'm not really sure what it is. It's all very secretive, they're recruiting and firing people all the time. This one guy - I think Daniel or something was his name - got fired because he accidently told someone the wrong date. That was it, yet he was fired instantly."

My eyes widen, making sure to look up the name Daniel for further reference. He could be a good witness. "Damn. That's pretty harsh."

"Exactly." He says, agreeing. He yawns as the conversation dies down a little. "So you haven't met Olivia then?"

"No."

He stretches. "She's Sydney's cousin. Very long, dark hair, tall, brown eyes. They look pretty similar, to be honest. Except Olivia is older than her."

It surprises me that Sydney has a cousin that seems to be close to her, whom she hasn't mentioned. Obviously Sydney and I aren't that close, but the fact that Adam is surprised I haven't met her, shows that she's obviously important to Sydney.

"I'm going to get a drink, want to come?" He asks, standing up and offering a hand.

Before he told me his name, I would have declined, but now I'm eager to get this information out of him. That, and I think Will might be looking for me.

Taking his hand, I let him pull me up, only he tugs a little too hard and I'm sent into his chest. He grabs me close in an attempt to stabilize us.