Shock | 34

The next morning, I'm being woken up suddenly by someone's fingers digging into me, rocking me awake

When I open my eyes, I'm hit with a shock.

Because standing there is none other than Sydney Moreau, her face puffy from crying, hair scraped messily into a ponytail as she stares down at me.

Sydney has been gone for weeks. Weeks. Ever since the announcement of her father's imprisonment, we haven't heard anything. It's like she had vanished of the face of the earth, never to return.

Until now.

"Get up." She snaps, pulling my covers off me. "I need to speak to you."

Confused and half-asleep, I follow her, making sure to creep past Maddy's bed so that I don't wake her up.

When I shut the door behind me, I'm surprised to see Will standing there too, looking as equally as confused as I am.

Sydney doesn't say a word, just leading us downstairs quietly, tears still staining her cheeks and yet bearing an expressionless face.

"What's going on?" Will hisses in my ear, throwing a suspicious look at Sydney, who is rushing down the stairs as if her life depends on it.

I raise my eyebrows at him. "Like I would know?"

As we reach the bottom floor, Sydney turns one last corner, bringing us into a large, dark room. Turning on the lights, my eyes focus on the library, which is desolate and lacking students that normally fill it with life.

Finally, she turns to us, shutting the door and taking a chair. "So, when were you planning on telling everyone?"

Will coughs loudly. "Excuse me?"

"Mia...Jake." She says, picking her nails. Suddenly she looks up, eyes flitting intimidatingly between us. "Or should I say Viola and William."

I nearly die in my seat, right there and then. No joke. I feel like my heart has just exploded.

This was definitely not what I was expecting. "What?"

"Don't play dumb. I know everything." She snaps, gripping her hands on her chair.

Will, who has been leaning against the wall, suddenly walks over, nearly tripping on his own feet. "How the hell-"

"We don't have much time, so I'll just explain it briefly." She clears her throat, as if preparing for an important speech. "Remember Olivia?"

Both of us nod slowly, our movements so similar that we probably resemble robots.

Sydney adjusts her ponytail, tightening it as her eyes remain set on us. "She knew your sister. They were really good friends, actually. Vera, wasn't it?"

I nod, feeling Will's concerned eyes look at me. Even Sydney looks sympathetic towards me, her harsh facial expression softening for a short moment, before it snaps back into a scowl.