Vera | 39

We stare at the memory stick in shock

We stare at the memory stick in shock. Okay, I'd hoped that something would have been left here, but staring at the real thing now makes my heart thump with realization.

This memory stick contains everything. Whatever Vera found is right there, lying on the stone slab of the interior wall. We have the power to know everything.

Rushing downstairs to ask the lady if she has a laptop, we're told that thankfully she does. It takes a little bit of persuasion to ask her, but once we tell her that she could possibly 'save the world' and all that shit, she's in on it, handing it to us as though her life depended on it. I'm surprised that she had one, to be honest, seeing as this place is so damn old that it's creepy.

Although, it isn't the fastest computer. In fact, it takes around 15 minutes to start up and open whatever is stored on the memory stick. When a video finally crops up, Will and I rush closer to it, eyes glued to the screen.

This is it.

This is-

"Hey." The light fades in, and there, sitting on the very bed that Will and I are on, is Vera, her hair scraped into a short ponytail, strands falling out so that they touch her face. She looks tired, and extremely sad. Something I'd never thought I'd see. Vera was always so happy, even when something really upsetting happened. It was her way of dealing with pain. She'd told me before that pretending to happy meant that eventually you would be just that. It merely takes time, and a change of mindset.

Seeing her there, completely raw with emotion stabs my heart with pain. Here I am, watching a new part of my sister. I thought there was nothing left, but apparently not.

"If you're watching this, then you've probably understood my letter. Or you found it some other way, but I'm not exactly sure how you could, seeing as I only told one person. Viola."

She presses her hands into her face, taking in a deep breath. When she looks up again, tears are streaming down her face. "I'm so sorry." She says, sobbing, her voice thick with despair. "So so sorry, V. I didn't think that this would happen, that it would all get so bad."

My heart is thudding. Something isn't right. Why is Vera crying?

"I just..." She breathes in slowly, wiping her cheeks. "I just wanted to do something that would make dad proud. That would make you all proud, for god's sake. And this is huge. Like, nationally huge. But I've fucked up. Big time."

She lets out another strangled cry, before groaning loudly. "God I promised I wouldn't cry! Okay." Breathing in deeply, her tears stop flowing. "I need to tell you, instead of being such a cry baby. If you're watching this, then I'm dead."

I can't breathe. Vera's death was an accident. She died in a car crash. Her car swerved off the road to avoid another car. She couldn't've have known that she was going to die. She can't have.