Homeward Bound | 24

We stay on the bench for a while, Will holding me in his arms until my tears slowly stop falling

We stay on the bench for a while, Will holding me in his arms until my tears slowly stop falling. We think of Vera, and everything she wanted to achieve.

Everything she did achieve.

"I wish I could have met her." Will says softly into my hair, lips resting on the top of my head. "She sounds just like you."

"Like me?"

He nods, eyes searching mine as I turn to look at him. "Kind, caring, intelligent. You sounded inseparable."

"We were." I rest my head on his shoulder, sighing with relief as the knot in my chest unravels.

Will was right. Speaking out was the best thing to do. Telling someone.

In all honesty, I haven't recounted the event for years. It's been too hard to bring up. "So now I've told you. Tell me about your sister."

A smile graces his face as I ask him. "Okay. Well, she's much more annoying than your sister. She's very cheeky. Cheating on her boyfriends, sneaking pots of Nutella upstairs when nobodies watching."

I chuckle lightly, and Will's face seems to relax, pulling into an expression of relief. "She calls me every Friday on mums phone, when she gets home from school. Talks to me about how she misses me, and what she's been up to. She's very good at drawing, likes princesses and football. Her room is purple, because that's her favourite colour, and she loves it when I read her stories before bed. Sometimes, if she's been good, I read to her over the phone. Though, she gets distracted very easily. Tells me how she can smell me over the phone."

"I love her already." I say, picturing a little girl giggling at the thought of her big brother smelling bad.

Childishly, he sticks his tongue out, squinting his eyes so the turquoise is dulled darker. "She wants to meet you, you know."

"Me?" I raise my eyebrows. "How does she even know who I am?"

He looks at me like I'm stupid. "Because I told her?"

"Ooh! You've been talking about me?" I say, wiggling my eyebrows.

He rolls his eyes, but his cheeks seem to catch a slight ray of heat, glowing a soft pink. "Yeah. Saying how you're such a bad influence."

"Hey! How am I the bad influence?"

"You're the one who slept with me." He says, smirking. His dark hair blows with the wind, touching his face.

I practically scream. "Excuse me! You slept with me, thank you very much."

A teacher walking past throws us a dirty look, a shocked face plastered on her features as she tuts loudly.

Will, who flips her off when she's not looking, bursts into laughter when she's finally out of earshot. I slap him on the shoulder, but start laughing too, finally feeling warmth tingling back through my body.