Heated | 28

By the time we leave the fairground, it's around ten o'clock

By the time we leave the fairground, it's around ten o'clock. We spent most of the duration going on the rides again and again, but we also strolled around the stands, attempting to win different items from the mini games they hold.

Will tried to win me the giant teddy bear from the 'hit the coconuts' stand and failed, but we managed to win a smaller one from the 'hook the ducks' later on.

As we walk into the front garden of the house, once again hand in hand, a loud sound comes from my pocket, startling me. Worrying that it could be mum, I take out my phone but soon see that the name isn't mum, it's from an unknown number.

Unknown number
Hey! Mia, right? It's Adam Carter. Was wondering whether you'd like to meet me next week for a drink sometime?

I must have accidentally taken Mia's phone instead of mine, which is not good, seeing as if mum calls it would be on my real phone, not this one.

I'm about to reply, when the phone is yanked out of my hand, and is suddenly in the clasp of Will, who eyes are skimming the screen so rapidly that they look as though they could fall out.

After a few seconds, he looks up. "What the hell? So you were talking to him?"

"No, I wasn't." I argue, attempting to snatch it back. Only, my height doesn't go very far, therefore making it impossible for me to reach. "I asked him at Sydney's if we could meet sometime. This will be really useful for the investigation, Will."

He runs a hand through his hair, jaw clenching. "For the investigation, right. I saw the way he was with you, Vi. He was touching you all the time."

"He touched me like once! What is your problem anyway?"

"Because rich guys like him always try to get what they want." He snaps, green eyes piercing into mine so intently that I have to look away. "You're just an object to him."

I roll my eyes, stepping forwards to touch his arm. "I'm not going to fall in love with him, Will. Just relax, okay? It's one meet up-"

"One meet up that could easily turn into more. I've seen the way he looks at you-"

"Oh! Oh I get it." Moving even closer, I almost whisper the words. He follows my movement with his harsh stare, face etched into a scowl. "I get it now."

He steps back into the front light of the house, his hair illuminated as he crosses his arms. "Get what?"

"You're jealous."

"Jealous?" He laughs sarcastically, the sound echoing down the deserted street. "I would never be jealous of Aaron Carton."

My lips tug at the edges into a smile. "Adam Carter, Will."

"Whatever."

"And I don't mean jealous of Adam, I mean jealous of him speaking to me. You don't want him with me because it will make you jealous." My voice comes out slightly unstable, wavering at the ends of certain words. Truthfully, I'm taking a complete gamble here. Will is most likely not jealous, but it's strange the way he's been acting. How he can't even remember Adam's name? I've never seen Will like this - only when it concerns another boy.