Realization | 19

The pizza man got a little bit freaked out when he arrived

The pizza man got a little bit freaked out when he arrived. I think he was expecting a married couple or something - not a large group of teenagers screaming at the very sound of the doorbell.

Georgia complains that Zach ordered too much, but most of us are so hungry that it goes within the first 15 minutes.

So he orders again, and we get a different pizza man.

Who's a little chattier.

"Hope you guys enjoy your pizza." He says, flashing a dazzling smile. He's small, with brown curly hair and long eyelashes.

Zach seems to be more interested than usual. "Thanks, you too."

There's an awkward silence as we realise what Zach said didn't make sense. "Wait, I didn't uh-"

"It's okay," The pizza man chuckles, breaking the tension. "I'll probably have pizza anyway, so thanks."

Fred, who has been viewing the conversation secretively in the background, wiggles his eyebrows at me.

My heart warms as I see how happy Fred is - they really care for each other.

After saying goodbye, we end up with more pizza, but without the guy. In a last attempt to save what could have been, Amie calls out, "Hey, why don't you just have your pizza with us?"

The guy stops midway through opening his door, turning to look in our direction. "Sorry, duty calls."

"What's your name?" Zach calls out, his voice shrill and unsteady.

"Charlie." The pizza man shouts back, a grin plastered clearly in the soft glow of the night. "And you?"

Zach's eyes sparkle. "Z...Zachary. Well, Zach. Just Zach, actually. Yeah, just Zach."

"See you around, just Zach." And Charlie jumps into his car, speeding off into the darkness.

All eyes divert to the one boy who is grinning sheepishly.

"Zach has got himself a lover man!" Ash shouts at the top of his voice, slapping him on the back while the rest of us whoop and yell.

The remainder of the evening goes by faster than I expected, and soon we're all curling up on the sofa, choosing a film on Netflix.

We get a lie in tomorrow, but we have to be in school for the end part of Sunday, meaning this is our last night at Georgia's house.

"We should do this again." Callum says, addressing all of us with a yawn. "Maybe like, book a place for summer or something."

Amie watches him carefully. "Yeah, that'd be fun."

Fred, Sydney, Ash, Georgia and Emily have all gone upstairs, so it's just the rest of us that are eating popcorn and arguing about what to watch.