Rage | 31

School is hardly something to concentrate on at the moment

School is hardly something to concentrate on at the moment. With all the thoughts running through my mind - I can't seem to actually focus in class.

My eyes seem as though they aren't part of my body, trailing away from the whiteboard and through the windows, as River's words are put on constant replay in the sad, conflicted area that is my brain.

The news got out eventually, of course.

First it was whispers - friends gossiping to each other, unsure of whether the prospect of a Moreau in jail was reality or just rumours. Then the whispers spread, twisting and turning into a louder, more clear force.

Social media was a significant culprit.
One of the younger years shared a news report that was explaining Edward Moreau's motives, and it spread like wildfire. Soon, it was all everyone was talking about. Anywhere you'd go, you'd hear people endlessly talking about what had happened. And it wasn't just Winsor Dalton - it was everywhere. Online, in the newspapers, on TV.

But nobody had seen Sydney.

Somehow she'd escaped the hungry, malicious jungle of our school body - not returning to school, not showing her face once.

"I just don't get it." Amie is saying one day, through a mouthful of food.
Aimlessly, we all sit in the lunch hall, watching packs of children rip apart the single piece of juicy information that this school has apparently had for years. "Sydney was so nice."

Emily rolls her eyes, stealing one of Amie's crisps. "Just because her father was put in prison, doesn't mean she had anything to do with it."

"True." Amie replies, shrugging. "But then again, she must have suspected it, right? I mean-"

She's cut off as Paris and Vienna join our table, sitting beside Fred and Callum, who have been seemingly absent from the conversation. The boys look up as they enter, eyes flashing with confusion, while Emily and Amie's with jealousy.

"Sorry to chip in to your little gathering." Vienna taunts, spitting out the word 'gathering' as if it's some kind of poisonous fruit.

"Yeah." Paris nods, throwing us an irritatingly fake smile, her curled-to-perfection hair tapping against her chest as she moves. "So sorry."

Vienna's nasally voice continues. "But we thought we'd say I told you so. You know, just to let you know."

Both girls giggle, sending secretive looks to each other as they watch our faces.

"Ooh, I forgot to ask - where's Jake, Mia?" Vienna asks, smirking as she tucks her short blonde hair behind her ears. "We saw him earlier on the phone - didn't we P?"

Paris nods. "We did. He was talking about moving schools? Saying he wanted to come home because he hates it here. Oh and it was a girl that he was talking to. Used the name Ashley quite a few times."