♡ Bonus chapter one ♡

"You're a what?"

"You're a what?"

I laugh, watching the way my friends stare at me in complete and utter shock. Currently, they're all surrounding my hospital bed, eyes wide and mouths open. Amie is sitting next to me, her hair down to her shoulders in a gorgeous frizz, accompanied by Emily on one side - who's resting her chin on the top of Amie's head, and Sydney on the other, who is clutching my hand.

Maddy couldn't be here - she is currently dealing with a lot - her dad is being treated in a separate hospital after suffering from critical injuries. My dad explained yesterday that James Arlington is going to make a recovery, however, which means he will be immediately transported to prison afterwards. My heart aches for Maddy. I can't imagine what she must be going through.

"An undercover agent." I repeat to Amie and Emily, watching them react again. "At least, I was, anyway."

Dread settles in my chest as I wait in anticipation to see what they say. I mean, sure, I was planning on telling them in a better environment, but I couldn't really lie to them about why I was hospitalised. Especially as they came as soon as they found out, and have been worried ever since I left the school in the first place. It's about time they knew.

"You know what? That's actually pretty cool." Amie says, being the first to break the silence. As my eyes snap up to hers in relief, she smiles genuinely, her eyes crinkling at the sides.

Emily nods, taking her chin off Amie's head. "I mean, if it was to protect our lives then of course it is. It doesn't mean our friendships were fake."

"Of course it doesn't." I say, reaching over to squeeze her arm. "I've loved every second being friends with you guys. I hope this doesn't change anything."

Emily giggles. "I don't think it does. In fact, I'm just freaking glad you're safe."

"So..." Amie says, a smirk creeping onto her face. "How's Jake? Does he know?"

I bite my lip. "Well. That's the thing."

They share looks, except for Sydney, who sends me a secretive grin.