An invitation | 13

"Where were you yesterday?" Maddy yells the next morning when I wake up

Sitting next to her are Emily and Amie, who have their arms crossed; expectant looks positioned on their faces.

I sigh, forgetting that I didn't mention going out with Sydney in our study period. "I had coffee with Sydney, and then went to speak to Jake, who is out of his mood, by the way."

"Sydney?" Emily shrieks, eyes widening and her French plaits swinging as she jolts forward. "Sydney as in...Sydney Moreau?"

"Yes." I say plainly. "What other Sydneys do you know?"

She ignores my question. "Why were you with her?"

I try not to flinch at the way they've referenced Sydney. Although I initially made friends with her for the investigation and used to feel the same way, I can't help but stick up for her. "She's really nice, you know. We like the same books."

"Books." Maddy snorts, taking out the scrunchie she had in her hair. "You like the same books as Sydney Moreau. Yeah, right."

"I do." I argue, starting to get annoyed that they don't believe me. Why would I lie about this? It's not like I'm boasting about our friendship.

"What, how to be popular 101?" She sits down on the other bed and takes off her shoes, almost as if to show the differences between me and them. "Sounds to me like you want to become one of them. Well newsflash: you can't. They're all psychos anyway."

I roll my eyes at her annoyance. It's useless arguing with someone who won't listen. "I don't care about popularity, Maddy. And anyway, she likes Divergent, The Hunger Games and The Mortal Instruments, do you need me to list more?"

Amie gasps. "She likes Divergent? That trilogy is like, my life."

"I don't know Paris or Vienna, and I don't care about being friends with them." I say, already noticing that I've regained Emily and Amie's respect.

Maddy, however, is still taking a sudden interest in the floorboards, not even looking at me.

I continue, "But Sydney is so nice and genuine. I met her at the racecourse last weekend and I really think you shouldn't judge her so harshly."

There's an awkward pause, before Maddy stands up. "Whatever." She growls, grabbing a bundle of clothes from her draws and going to the bathroom to change. Her brown hair flows slightly with her fast pace, and as the door shuts, Amie, Emily and I all share a look.

She gets like this sometimes. Amie mouths, and Emily nods as if to agree.

We put on some music and try to ignore the scene that just happened, but something at the back of my mind tells me that the anger Maddy projected towards Sydney must have been to do with more than just popularity.