Newbies | 07

The school is possibly bigger than my whole neighbourhood put together

The school is possibly bigger than my whole neighbourhood put together. Great stone walls stand around the building, protecting it with barbed wires. Rows and rows of windows form on several buildings, and it there are what looks like around 7 different sections that I have to crane my neck to see properly. If it wasn't for the fields of flowers and the fairytale-like tower looking out, I would think this is a prison.

When the taxi pulls up next to the gate, I pay the driver and watch as he drives away, feeling like a girl in a movie. Except I'm not, it's real life, and I have to endure this experience.

The gates are giant steel bars of metal, and an electronic box with a button on is stuck onto the wall next to them. I suddenly feel very small as I peer up and look out at the looming school in front of me.

Can't exactly go back now.

After pressing the button and stating my name, the gates swing open and I walk onto the gravel, hearing the sounds of stones against stones as my suitcases wheel behind me.

It takes me about two minutes to walk up to the steps, before heading into the building where a marble floor is gleaming back at me.

I forgot this is a private school. A very rich private school, at that. The only reason why we're allowed to come here for free is because we're associated with MI5. It also helps that the headteacher is apparently an old friend of my dads. It's a small world, huh?

When I find reception, a lady is sitting at the counter who grimaces when she sees me. "Mia Evans?"

I plaster a smile on my face to hide the nerves and nod silently.

She thrusts a piece of paper into my hands before pressing a button that makes a loud buzzing noise. "Would Madeline Arlington please head to reception. Madeline Arlington. Thank you."

I swallow, waiting for her to speak to me as the sounds of silence fill the room. "Should I go, or..."

The lady rolls her eyes behind her glasses, and I notice she's quite young, around her late twenties. "Wait for Madeline. She's in your dormitory, and therefore your helper to get settled in."

I nod, taking the opportunity to look around. There are small stone statues that are aligned neatly about the room, shelves filled with books and frames hanging from the walls that have numerous awards for the school.

It's around 5 minutes later that Madeline arrives, so I guess the school is big and takes a long time to walk around.

She is a reasonably tall girl with a high, brown ponytail, small green eyes and a jutting out chin. Her skin is pale and freckled, ears pointed at the top that remind me slightly of elves.

I feel bad for thinking that, but I guess she'll never know.

"Hi." She says loudly, putting out her hand for me to shake. When I finally do after a long hesitation, a huge smile fills her face. "Call me Maddy. Madeline is too long and boring for me. Only my grandparents call me that."