Investigation | 20

The next morning, I have no idea how to act

The next morning, I have no idea how to act. It feels like the scene out of Clueless, when Cher doesn't know what to do after finding out her crush.

Will is obviously the same - laughing and teasing and joking around with me - but for some reason my body can't seem to act the way it used to.

It's as if every touch we make sends me on fire, my body hyperaware of each brush or accidental push. Even my eyes seem to be drawn to the moves he makes, aware when he's looking at me or moving closer.

Amie and Emily sense this immediately, pulling me away after breakfast. "What the hell is up with you?"

"What?" I ask, my eyes accidently sending a longing glance at Will while he laughs at something Ash says.

The girls share a look.

"You're being weird." Emily declares, crossing her arms. "Different."

I scoff, turning away from Will so I don't get distracted. "I am not."

"Jake?" Amie calls, beckoning him over.

He bounds towards us like a puppy, eyes wide with confusion. He catches my eye. "That's my name."

"Mia is a little sad at the moment. We don't know why. Maybe you could cheer her up?" Emily questions, an evil look on her face, an exact replica of Amie's. This must be some kind of payback. I'm going to kill them.

Will doesn't even question it, he simply moves behind me, wrapping his arms around my shoulders, chin resting on my head. "Aww. Is little Mia upset? Does she miss mummy and da-da?"

I ignore the red flame that is scorching onto my cheeks and push him backwards, avoiding eye contact. "Shut the fuck up before you regret it."

"This kitty is feisty today." He smirks, enjoying me squirm.

It's times like this when I wonder why on earth my feelings have drawn to him.

When we return to school, Maddy is already in our room, headphones in as she writes in a notebook

When we return to school, Maddy is already in our room, headphones in as she writes in a notebook. Today she is surprisingly in her pyjamas, her dark hair in a ponytail and her lids stroked by soft brown eyeshadow. As she sees us, a smile spreads onto her face. "Hey! How was it?"