Ch. 3: Set In Motion

Grace entered in the living room of their home to see her husband and Nana Rose talking up plans. "Mark, staying awake isn't going to help you think of a plan. Get some rest."

Mark looked up at Grace then back at the fire. "You need rest as well."

"Can't sleep."

Nana Rose chuckled lightly. "Times are changing in our favor. I'm sure many of our men and women went home tonight and are still awake as well."

Grace sat down on the couch and let out a long breath. "I've thought about our situation and I can't be selfish with our children. I just—"

"Grace, I don't want to lose either of them, but I believe that they won't fail," Mark spoke up.

"If they're caught, they will be murdered."

"That's if they get caught," Rose poked her with her staff. "And that's a mighty big if."

Mark stood up and moved over to his wife, placing his hand on top of hers as it rested on the couch. "How many demons have we slain together?"

"Many, I've lost count."

"How many times have we died?"

"...None."

"And how many times have our children died?"

"I get it, Mark. They're well trained." Graced looked over at him. "I just— didn't think a day like this would come."

Nana Rose took a deep breath. "Change will not come if we wait for some other person or some other time. We are the ones we've been waiting for. We are the change that we seek."

"She's right," Grace admitted. "We need them more than ever— How do we put that kind of pressure on them though?"

"They're eager to help." Rose replied, "Just as Mark was as a child. I see it in your children."

Mark smiled, "They'll be alright. We'll discuss it tomorrow with them."

Little did they know (Y/n) sat at the top of the steps listening to her families conversation. She knew for sure she couldn't let her brother go. He had three children with no mother.

Although she was young it was time to take matters into her own hands.

The house fell silent as everyone went to sleep, some sleeping more than others. Almost everyone.

(Y/n) waited until everyone was out cold to make her move. She slipped down the steps with her backpack in hand and tiptoed through the living room. Nana Rose's room was on the first floor.

She reached out for the handle and placed her hand upon it.

"And where might you be going, young lady?" Rose spoke up.

(Y/n) turned her head to see the old woman at the kitchen table with tea in front of her.

"Uh, to the base."

"Try again." Rose knew she lied.

"No really, Nana. I'm going to the base."

"And for what reason, child? It's 3 A.M. and the night rule doesn't lift for another 3 hours."

(Y/n) dropped her back to the kitchen floor and sat at the table with Nana. "I just— I wanted to get a head start."

"A head start? On getting the staff?"

"Nana, I'm more than ready to do this. I can't let Dean go, not with three kids at home. Mom and Dad are too old. I have nothing to lose."

"Nothing to lose? (Y/n), you have a lot to lose. A family that loves you dearly, thousands of men and women that look up to you as the future of our organization."