Ch. 28: Care

"Anti, did you hear that yell?" Dark called out to the green-eyed demon.

Anti stood up, leaning against the tree near him. He looked deep into the woods, his pointed ears twitching briefly. "It was the lass. She's not too far away from here."

"Are you sure?"

He turned back to Dark. "Positive. We have to hurry though. Looks like its going to rain soon."

"Right, I'll take to the skies. Follow from the ground. Alert me if you catch sight of her."

"Got it." Anti dashed into the woods only leaving a small trail of dust from the dirt on the ground.

Dark spread his large wings and took off into the sky overlooking the forest once more. At this point, he stayed a bit lower to the trees and hoped to hear more as well.

He wouldn't admit it but he was more so worried about her than what her presence brought to the castle. For the first time in a very long time, a very, very long time, he cared about something other than himself.

And that, he believed, would be the death of him.

Anti had seen something other than (Y/n) which caused him to panic slightly. He came across an old, dead, but tall, tree and climbed it quickly searching the skies for Dark.

He spotted him and began waving his hand while holding on to a branch with the other. Dark saw him and flapped his wings slowly landing on another branch much like a bird.

"News?"

"Bad news.. I spotted a hellhound running by."

"No pack?"

"I'm guessing it was going to catch up. Which means they might be on the same scent we are."

Dark looked at his environment around him, "We'll follow the beast. It may lead us to her. Hopefully, it's alone though."

"I doubt it, but we can try." Anti leaned backward falling off the branch then quickly regaining his balance, landing on his feet and taking off back into the woods.

✂ ————————————

(Y/n) sat against a tree looking out at the clearing. The pain in her chest was loosening but the very fact she knew of her Nana's death killed her above all else.

Lightly brushing the bushes nearby cause her to side eye the woods on either side of her. It had been generally quiet up until that sound. Only the wind caused the trees to rub against one another.

She stood up and walked into the clearing. This way if something was going to come and get her she would have a clear view of it first. The staff had a pointed bottom which gave her a slight advantage. Fighting with your hands wasn't always the best answer anyway.

Most rushing in the bushes stopped her in her tracks. She turned and looked behind her, yet nothing showed. It wasn't until (Y/n) caught a glimpse of a tail that she knew what was stalking her.

Hell Hounds.

The question now though was how many were in this pack. She had already spotted one. Her eyes scanned the horizon for other movements.

2..4...5..

Five hell hounds surrounded her.