Ch. 11: A Demon's Secret

The elite three weren't the favorite among the demon population, and they were even less favored by the human population. Although it was illegal, many times a demon would revert themselves to a more human dynamic in order to casually walk among them. Sometimes this was needed for every day necessary task, other times it was abused.

This time though it was needed. Within the city walls was the nations most up to date society. The humans lived in the closest idea to modern society that they could. This came with the help of the demons though who had lived through that time.

Many humans pretended to live happy lives, feeling blessed to even walk in such modern land while others had to fend for themselves. They weren't allowed to forget how lucky they were.

Die walked the city with a hoody pulled over his head, a fake pair of glasses, and casual clothing. His ears were no longer pointed, and his sclera turned white. He kept to himself always hoping no one would recognize him as an elite.

This occurred so much so that some locals had grown to know him as someone else, despite trying to stay hidden.

Johnathan is what they called him.

A nice man who bought from local mom and pop shops. A kind soul who helped when he could.

Die, the Demon didn't exist here.

With worry hanging over him he turned down a street full of vendors selling to locals. It was a Sunday which meant vender day. Shops from all around the city met up on a few blocks and set up small stands. It also meant that there could possibly be a stand that sold medicine or home remedies.

Demons didn't get sick, but the humans did. Without access to appropriate modern medicine or the fact they couldn't afford it, they were forced to come up with their own remedies, or sell what was left from the before times.

Die knew just the person to go and see. A little old woman named Sarah. Sarah was as kind as old women came in these times. She was well known through the city and loved by many.

She liked Die, mainly because he reminded her of her son who she lost many years ago to another demon. Although she knew Die was a demon, she didn't care or mind it at all.

He approached the old woman's stand certain to find something to bring back home.

"Sarah?" He called out, the stand was empty.

"I'm in here, dear. Give me a moment." The old woman began to make her way out from the "back" of the stand. She walked out with a cane in hand. "Oh well look who made a visit!"

"How are you?" Die smiled, pushing down his hood.

"I'm doing just fine. Feel as sprite as a chicken." She laughed. "And how is the old Dark boy doing, still on edge?"

"As usual."

"And your green friend, how is he?"

"Bouncing off the walls."

"And you?"

Die let out a sigh, "I have a problem, Sarah."

"It's only a problem if it can't be fixed, and many problems are far from broken. How can I help though, dear?"

"Did you hear the latest announcement?"

"I did, yes, you have a human captured. The leader's daughter as it seems. Are you keeping good watch over her?"

"I'm trying but— She's sick. She's really sick. We had her in a cell and this morning she was just unresponsive, and —"

"Hush now, child. Relax, and give me a moment, alright?"