Ch. 32: Enough

She did it. She had quickly, effectively, and unnoticeably escaped the castle, but then again everyone else was on alert for other reasons than keeping her at bay. With her staff strapped to her back she left the grounds and rushed into the city.

Pulling her hood up over her head (Y/n) rushed the alleyways in hopes of finding out where this loud, and annoying alarm was coming from or where it was referring too.

There were little to no people out on the street. Most looked from their windows down at the empty street which held guards and officers, yet another reason for her to travel the alleyways.

(Y/n) gazed up at the people pointing down below. She saw them whisper and wonder who she was and what she was doing. The hood though kept her decently hidden.

She leaned against a building waiting for officers to make their way to the end of the block.

"If I were Die, and on a seething rampage, where would I go?"

The answer? He wouldn't. He wouldn't stop until he'd unleash all his anger. What she wondered though was where it was being unleashed.

Then she remembered what Dark said in the woods.. It was time for her to listen to her environment. She crouched down behind a dumpster and closed her eyes.

Talking, but those were guards.

Mumbling, but those were people within buildings.

Not even birds dared to chirp within the city walls.

But then, quick footsteps scuffling down an ally, followed by light snickering..

He was near and hunting.

(Y/n) burst out of the alleyway and down the block. Officers at the corner turned to see her running away.

"You there! Stop!"

She ignored him and continued on. Then something hit her nostrils. A powerful smell, but something she'd known for quite a bit now.

"Is that, Die?" She questioned herself. There wasn't enough time to think about it.

An officer walking across the street heard her footsteps and turned to look. "A...human?" Shock made him pause.

Out of the corner of her eye, a blur had jumped seemingly out of nowhere. Without wasting another second she launched herself towards the demon officer knocking him over. They tumbled across the street catching the attention of many people indoors and other offices nearby.

They stopped rolling. He stood up more angry than thankful for being moved.

"What in hell do you think you're doing human?!" He yelled out.

She looked up to see him towering over her. "Hey I — Look out!!"

A hand went through his chest.

The man fell to his knees, then to the ground.

(Y/n) sat up to see Die standing with a twisted smile on his face and tears falling. "Die, why are you crying?"

"Demons, humans, you all Mors the same."

She paused, "Did you just — never mind." She stood up. "What happened to you?"

He looked as though he'd been fighting many other humans and demons, and winning.

"What happened to her?" His smile fell to a grim line.

"Who are you talking about?"

Die jumped towards her, but she moved just out of his way. Tears were blocking his vision.