Ch. 8: Capture

"I believe you have something of mine." Dark began to walk up the long stairway, hands behind his back.

She kept a stern expression on her face.

Meanwhile Die was slipping in the back of the ball with Anti.

"Dude, where were you?"

"I was uh — after the human." He scratched his head.

"Dark is going to kill you."

Dark's voice spoke up once more, "If you'll hand over the staff now, I'll go easy on you."

"You'll have to pry it from my cold dead hands." She answered.

"I have no problem making an example out of you, Spero." He laughed lightly, "That's not even your real name, is it?"

"I'll never tell you."

"Fiesty." He turned towards the room of demons. "And here we have a rebel, but not just any rebel my friends, the daughter of the Rebellion's leader."

"Kill her!" Someone called out.

More voices rose in agreement.

Dark, on the other hand, made eye contact with Die who was across the room, regretting the agreement they had come upon.

"I know you are all excited about this victory, but I have far larger plans for this — repulsive human. It would not serve me well if she was dead." Dark turned towards the guards. "Take her to a holding cell, and bring back my staff."

The guards walked in closer to her, holding her by the arms and ripping the staff from her grip. They turned and began to walk away. One guard returned the staff to Dark.

"Please, continue to enjoy yourselves, we may not be young but the night is very." He announced.

Dark walked down and into the crowd towards his friends. He spotted Die and immediately made his way towards him.

"Oooo, yer in trouble." Anti sang.

"If I'm in trouble then so are you."

"Die, Anti, a word please," Dark asked, his tone struggling to sound nice.

"What did I do!?" Anti raised his voice.

____________________________________

"And where were you?" Dark questioned Die. "You seemed to be very close to her all night long."

"Dark, you were just as close to her as I was and I didn't smell one ounce of human."

"I see." He turned and looked out the window. "That doesn't answer my question though, where did you disappear with her?"

"She was interested in the oil paintings in the hallway." He lied. "We were just outside the doors when she excused herself, then I didn't see her after that."

"And you didn't think to follow her?"

"After a few minutes I decided to, I rushed the castle looking everywhere for her." Die paused. "She's smart, Dark."

"Unfortunately for her, not smart enough." He sighed. "The people are upset, and I will not let the fault lie on my shoulders."

"Why are they upset?"

"Because I let her live. If it were up to me she would have been dead, right there, but I am a man of my word, and I made an agreement with you. That being said all blame and complaints will be directed towards you."