Ch. 22: Dear Family...

It had been days since the dinner incident and (Y/n) did not leave her room once. There was no need to if food was delivered to her. No one had made an attempt to speak with her either. No one knew what to say exactly.

But one thing was for sure, everyone was thinking about it.

Both Dark and Die felt the worse of the two. Each of them thinking through an appropriate way to apologize.

One evening on particular though, Die made the decision it was time to break the silence.

He walked out of his room after changing for the evening and headed towards (Y/n)'s room. With one deep breath, he found the courage to knock on her door.

"(Y/n), are you there?"

"Come in." She answered plainly.

He opened the door and walked in, almost tripping over a pile of books. Her room looked as though she had brought over the entire library. "What is going on in here?"

"I've been studying up on demons, these books are from the library."

He carefully stepped over each pile to get to her. "How've you been the last few days?"

"I've been...thinking...a lot."

"Yeah me too." He reached the bed and sat down on it, looking over her shoulder.

There were a few seconds of silence before he spoke again.

"(Y/n), I owe you an apology."

"And what is that for?"

"I—raised my voice at you, and I said some—rude things to you, I also kept you from very important information from you. It wasn't fair, (Y/n)."

"I'm your prisoner." She stated bluntly. "Fairness is something I shouldn't expect, it's a privilege. This room, these books, the food."

There was a small silence before he spoke up once more. "(Y/n), I care about you."

"Me, or what my presence provides for you."

"You, (Y/n), I care about you."

She stopped what she was doing and turned towards him. "Alright, you've got my attention."

"Despite the fact you weren't a demon the night we met, I still felt— I felt like I could relate to you— and when I found out you were human— it didn't change a single thing. In fact, I wanted to talk to you more. I haven't talked to a human in— years..."

"You kill them all the time, I'm sure you—"

"I haven't personally killed a human in— well since the great war."

"The war?"

Die didn't want to say much more to her. He didn't want to have this conversation. He paused to re-write his mental speech to her. It was time to get back to the point.

"Yes, but that's not important. I have a proposal for you. I want you to write a letter to your family. I'm going to make sure it gets there."

Her eyes lit up with excitement. "You really mean that?"

"Its the least I can do, (Y/n). If it'll make you happy...We're going to figure this out. Sometimes I think you're just as lost and confused as I am."

"Every day of my life." She smiled a bit.

"Write your letter tonight and give it to me at the end of tomorrow, I'll be sure to get it out of here before the end of the week."

"You have no idea how much this means to me, Die.." She looked down at the floor, "I miss my dad, my mom, my brother," She laughed for a moment, "I'm an aunt, did you know that?"